Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Breathing - Transitioning from sleep to awake
Question 
Breathing - Transitioning from sleep to awake
I'm at 14cm-water and I find that as I wake-up and switch off the APAP (both with my Old RemStar and now DS1 (haven't transitioned the DS2 - no Oscar!)) that it takes me several minutes to "switch over" to breathing on my own and it really doesn't matter if it's four, eight, or twelve hours of sleep - going from the 14cm to ambient is stressful in that it feels like I have to work to get air into my lungs.Bug-eyed

I've experienced this transition problem from the beginning of treatment - not so bad at first but more troublesome as time has passed; however, what's a Dragon to do - no CPAP - no Sleep - (NO FIRE!  crygreen ) - and I cannot go back to the 150+ AHI (it could have been higher; however, they stopped the sleep study at that point and went right to titration with orders for a CPAP before I went home that morning)! - Have you ever fell asleep while standing and not known it (!?) - I have, like a laptop going into sleep-mode when the lid closes, no sense of time passing and my stupid colleagues just laughing at me without even once letting me know that something wasn't right - went on for months - such love and concern (not).

So I guess two questions:
- Huh  - Is this something that everyone is experiencing, just people with higher pressures settings, or is it just me?
- Huh  - For those that do experience this phenomenon, how do you deal with it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Breathing - Transitioning from sleep to awake
I take about a minute sitting on the side of my bed to adjust but it is not a big deal and not every day.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this mouth breathing on flow r. Experiencing aerophagia with pressure above 6cmH20 Jonkier 0 33 2 hours ago
Last Post: Jonkier
  Anyone else have trouble breathing through their nose when sleeping? POOKISTAN 7 201 8 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 2 101 8 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 3 146 Yesterday, 11:10 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,687 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 348 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Transitioning from ResMed to Lowenstein Prisma 20A SakimaStorm 5 332 04-16-2024, 04:34 AM
Last Post: bobgsm

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.