Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] UPPP?! Oh no.
UPPP?! Oh no.
Well, I just got home from my ENT consult. Nothing new there. Vital signs taken, flexible laryngoscopy done, neck palpated, and then a UPPP recommended. He did say that it is not curative, but does help. HELPS!!! For that much cutting and surgery and risk, it better fix it, but I know better. So my fellow papies, I will continue my CPAP to stay healthy, and say no to this surgery. Just too much risk for the possibility of a poor outcome. Glad I went though. I won't feel quite as bad tonite when I strap it on. I'll just continue weight watchers and exercise and try to get in the best shape I can, for my overall health. Thanks for the support.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: UPPP?!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh no..........
I think thats a good decision ppowers, losing the weight and exercising is good for your general health anyway and over time you maybe able to lower your pressures.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2015, 08:01 PM)ppowers Wrote: it is not curative, but does help. HELPS!!! For that much cutting and surgery and risk, it better fix it

Heck, it ought to fix it, make me 40 lbs lighter, give me nice, permanently bronze tinted skin, improve flexibility and stamina, take 25 years off my age and make females everywhere swoon. Well, more than they already do....

OMM

Post Reply Post Reply
good decision
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: UPPP?! Oh no.
ppowers, I had to change your initial subject line. Sometimes the forum software hiccups with repeated punctuation.

And yeah, if you used a bilevel because you needed super high pressures and the surgery would result in lowering that pressure, maybe it would be worth it. But otherwise, I've not heard from many people where it actually cured them. Some it decreases it to the point that as long as they keep their weight super low and they wear a dental device and keep track of it with an oximeter and and and... But, really, I'd rather just be a simple hose head. Too lazy for that other stuff.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
UMMM lets see. Man with cutting instrument hacking at the inside of my throat doing something that may or may not help anything vs strapping a mask to my face "which alot of folks do daily that is work related anyway" and blow room air down my neck to hold my airway open??

Id opt for the mask and air vs cutting on my person every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Post Reply Post Reply
I asked my ENT about surgery and he said Why? He then commented that he hasn't seen enough success stories to make it a viable option for most people. I can live with a mask at night - and it helps me fall asleep faster and make it through the night.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tonsillectomy and UPPP surgery Jen0628jen 3 598 11-02-2023, 09:21 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  UPPP Surgery worsening daytime breathing, very frustrated yanix 0 964 08-30-2022, 02:50 AM
Last Post: yanix
  UPPP surgery? [Update] Doozer 7 1,332 09-02-2020, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Uppp surgery & turbinate reduction cherrow42 18 2,023 12-15-2019, 09:44 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Skip CPAP for UPPP? Bedsheet 18 2,587 05-24-2019, 10:34 AM
Last Post: Melman
  UPPP, Septoplasty & Turbinate Reduction meguys123 19 8,301 03-17-2017, 10:19 PM
Last Post: scotty
  Tonsillectomy and UPPP and Coblation for base of Tongue sleep_apnea 28 6,916 08-29-2015, 03:45 PM
Last Post: DocWils

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.