Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Understanding EPR and 1-3 adjustments, please help
Understanding EPR and 1-3 adjustments, please help

Hi I am new to my ResMed S9Auto Set machine and I being treated for Cpap.

I have been reading thru threads and posts here for several days and hours. Even tried a search on my topic of concern but did not bring out thr information I gad hoped for..

So hoping someone can answer a few questions for me.

1. I just do not 'get' this "EPR" setting and the following "EPR Level" under settings.
How does changing the EPR from. (Off, Ramp Only, & Full ztime) influence ones response tibytst

I do get basic definition that it EPR has to do with the pressure when expiring or breathing. But no idea about how to set up this section.

Any advice or suggestions on setting this part up? What's the ratinale?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Understanding EPR and 1-3 adjustments, please help
(12-18-2012, 09:19 PM)Curious55 Wrote:
Hi I am new to my ResMed S9Auto Set machine and I being treated for Cpap.

I have been reading thru threads and posts here for several days and hours. Even tried a search on my topic of concern but did not bring out thr information I gad hoped for..

So hoping someone can answer a few questions for me.

1. I just do not 'get' this "EPR" setting and the following "EPR Level" under settings.
How does changing the EPR from. (Off, Ramp Only, & Full ztime) influence ones response tibytst

I do get basic definition that it EPR has to do with the pressure when expiring or breathing. But no idea about how to set up this section.

Any advice or suggestions on setting this part up? What's the ratinale?

Hi Curious, Welcome to the forum!

The EPR numbers mean simply 1 cm H2O, 2 cm H2O or 3 cm H2O reduction in exhalation pressure.

It's just for comfort and sometimes helps new users get acclimated to using CPAP by lowering the amount of air pressure while the user exhales.

I don't use it but some people like it.

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Curious55,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What TheWerkz said.
EPR is a comfort feature, some people use it and others turn it off. It's a personal choice and ramp is the same way.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to repeat what the others said:

EPR is a comfort feature. It stands for "exhale pressure relief". What it does is the machine detects when you are about to exhale and it drops the pressure down until you start the inhale then it brings it back up. Respironics' exhale relief is there x-FLEX.

The numbers are how far to drop it down. Your profile says your average is 12. So if you have the EPR set to 3, you inhale that 12 but exhale against 9.

Off, Ramp Only, & Full time - Off means the EPR is off completely. Ramp only means the EPR is only working during the ramp time but is off after the ramp is done (and by then the user is asleep). Full Time means it is on both during ramp and after.

Patient means the ability to set the EPR setting is on the main screen vs having to access the clinician menu to access. The rest is the setting made within the clinician menu and cannot be changed by the patient on the main menu (unless they know how to access it like you do).

Some people feel the EPR does not help them and they don't use it. Some have said it actually caused them to have more events. Others say it helps them to breathe against their high pressures so they have it set to 3. What you set it to is strictly a personal preference.

I've tried it without and did fine but found it was taking me slightly longer to fall asleep. I have mine set to 2, Full time (I don't use ramp feature anyway). In the clinician menu, I do not have it set to "Patient" since I don't need to change it depending on the night and how I feel. This means the EPR screen is not visible on Home Screen menu.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2012, 09:19 PM)Curious55 Wrote: Any advice or suggestions on setting this part up? What's the ratinale?
Expiratory Pressure Relief (EPR) feature decreases pressure as you exhale
some don,t use it and some find EPR makes breathing out against pressure feel more comfortable

everyone is different. you need to find what works best for you

the manual is available via Email ... scroll to section three
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Post Reply Post Reply
Curious,

Paula already did a great job of outlining the options. I do recommend that you request the Clinician Manual, which you can do through the forum (see the Private Files and Links section). This manual will explain how to get to the clinician section on your machine to change these settings. It does a horrible job of actually explaining what these settings mean, what they do, etc., so just work through it. If I remember right, there is also a setting that is something like "Response" with "Fast" and "Medium" as options. I've played with it and can't tell the difference.

Like many people have commented, this is a comfort setting. Some people have found that it does affect their leak rates, so there can be a therapy impact, but it's more what feels the best to you. Keep in mind, what feels best today may not be the best a few months from now. Humidity settings, hose temperature settings (if you're using the Climate Line hose), ramp settings, etc. can all make your CPAP use fit your comfort level. Worst case, if you're not using your xPAP the therapy is definitely affected.

The clinician manual shows all of these settings and how to modify them. If you have more questions, you know where to find us.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Curious55, Yeah what Paula02 said! Too-funny Glad you found us, lots of great information and caring people! Welcome
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2012, 09:19 PM)Curious55 Wrote: FROM: Patient, 1, 2, or. 3 matter. What is meaning?

If your healthcare provider sets it on "Patient" this will give the patient the freedom to set the level at 1, 2, or 3. As others have said, the higher the number the greater the reduction in pressure when you exhale.

If you set it at "Patient" this will give you the opportunity to change the level yourself without having to go back into the clinician's menu.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 857 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,790 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,551 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 5 484 03-09-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24
Gross Need help interpreting data and making adjustments tiredandexpired 13 584 03-01-2024, 10:07 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Help Interpreting OSCAR data and making adjustments Catbois 1 172 03-01-2024, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help understanding OSCAR Data - Feeling Tired all day (not sleepy) elsanti1976 9 559 01-21-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: elsanti1976

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.