Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Understanding Sleep Disordered Breathing
Understanding Sleep Disordered Breathing
As sleep apnea gets diagnosed more and more we see a flow of new members with lots of questions, apprehension, and fear. There is so much to learn and so much information and knowledge available here one frequently doesn't know where to start especially if one is tying to understand and manage ones own therapy.

As i peruse the type of questions from new members on the forum I thought it would be good to remind folks to start by checking the Wiki link at the top of the forum page. There is lots of good information there.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the first page of that Wiki link there is a link to a video entitled Understanding Sleep Disordered Breathing. As the author of the page states, this is a must see for all new sleep apnea patients.

Happy pappin!
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Understanding Sleep Disordered Breathing
Agreed. It's a very good video.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...=Wiki_Home

For best viewing, make sure you click on the "Full Screen" option at the bottom right of the video.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, this is good information! I'd like to hear more about "Clear Airway"problems, they did not include that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2016, 12:26 AM)Russatrice Wrote: Thank you, this is good information! I'd like to hear more about "Clear Airway"problems, they did not include that.

What specifically are you interested in with clear away problems? Here is a link to a video explaining CA from a sleep doctor in Minnesota.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbTlTmVkLTY

If you can be more specific we can help steer you to other resources or others here may have the appropriate anwsers or explanations.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes the video was helpful, thank you! I hear these terms on the board but I didn't know what was causing CA, and how it is treated. I also see events on my Sleepyhead data but they are usually below 1, so I'm sure I shouldn't worry about it. There is so much to learn about apneas and very little was explained to me initially.
Post Reply Post Reply
Very informative video. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2016, 07:13 PM)Russatrice Wrote: There is so much to learn about apneas and very little was explained to me initially.

Unfortunately all too common. Thank goodness for this place!
Coffee

Happy Pappin'

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2016, 07:44 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Agreed. It's a very good video.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...=Wiki_Home

For best viewing, make sure you click on the "Full Screen" option at the bottom right of the video.

Holy moly! That video was quite shocking. As an empathetic/sensitive person, that was difficult to watch the hypopneas. If this is happening to me (which it is, since that's how I ended up here), I am now VERY motivated to not let that happen.

And I'm a bit more informed as to how to read my SleepyHead data. Although now I want to know more about how to read the other data points. I'll go check out that CA YouTube video.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 80 3,246 22 minutes ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 23 550 3 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 113 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 125 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 140 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 484 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 185 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.