Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Understanding sleep data
Understanding sleep data
Hi
I have just joined this board.
Though I have been using various auto Cpap machines (Remed 9, 10, 11) for over ten years I have had a difficult time finding assistance evaluating the settings and treatment (when initially given my first machine I was never instructed to do any follow up). I recently stumbled over this amazing forum and would love to receive input regarding my data.
I have tried to follow the instructions on posting OSCAR data and would greatly appreciate any insight as to possible changes to my machines settings. I enclose a screenshot of yesterdays treatment.
I have been tired my entire life, falling asleep in a moment whenever trying to read or think. Though the CPAP therapy I believe has somewhat helped, I think it is ultimately Ritalin which has been keeping me alert.
I apologize in advance if I have made mistakes in correctly posting.
Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Understanding sleep data
Hi pappy123!  -  Welcome

Most of your events seem to indicate a positional causation.  Try to avoid sleeping on your back, and avoid chin tucking.  Sleeping on your side will yield the best results.

If you have any ramp on, please turn it off.  It isn't doing you any favors.  Since you are experiencing some hypopneas, I would start off the pressure at 8cm.  Likewise, you are plateauing out at your current setting of 14.6cm, so I would increase this to 16cm.  

Now you are experiencing some flow limitations. To address this, I would try using the EPR set to full time, with a value of 2 to begin with.  This will show if it needs to be increased or decreased.  Using EPR has some considerations.  While EPR helps with flow limitations, it can induce CAs.   These can be temporary until your body adjusts.  Next is pressure setting when using the EPR option.  Since the EPR value is subtracted from the inhale pressure on your model, you need to increase the pressure based on the EPR value.  This would modify my recommendation of the starting pressure from 8cm to 10cm, and is based on the EPR value of 2.  This will give you an exhale pressure of 8cm. You can probably leave the maximum set to 16cm.

Take these setting for a spin and see how you feel as well as, if your events start to diminish.

Good luck!
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Crimson Nape
Thanks so much for the quick and detailed recommendations. I will definitely implement them. I indeed wasn't aware that my EPR was only on during ramp (which I will turn off). I generally sleep on my side but will try to be more mindful of possible chin tucking.
All best!
Post Reply Post Reply
I might have confused you. To clarify, you want to turn off the ramp feature. When setting the EPR, make sure it is set to Full Time.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gotcha loud and clear.
About to put the new settings to work (it is past midnight on this side of the pond...)
Thanks again!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 149 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [CPAP] Help with OSCAR data to help improve sleep Akaharu 6 201 04-06-2024, 11:35 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Understanding OSCAR data BaldZoomer 3 203 04-01-2024, 02:22 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,909 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 217 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 304 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 248 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.