Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Upper Airway Stimulation Therapy
Upper Airway Stimulation Therapy
I just saw a brief piece on this method of controlling sleep apnea on NBC's Inside Edition and googled it.  The link below tells of the procedure.  I personally had never heard of it.  The patient they showed who couldn't tolerate CPAP therapy work a mask I hadn't seen--no headgear--it hooked over her ears.  Didn't look very stable--think the machine might have been a PR.  Does anyone know anything about it?  Note:  I'm not considering it--I like my Wisp!

http://hospitals.jefferson.edu/tests-and...erapy.html!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Upper Airway Stimulation Therapy
A company called Inspire Sleep developed a device similar to a pacemaker for your heart; but intended to treat sleep apnea. They implant an electrical device in your shoulder area and run wires to the back of your throat and shock your muscles so that they contract and keep your airway open, sounds like fun to me. I think that they have run into problems, not sure if it has been successful. Shocking!!
Post Reply Post Reply
The patient they showed was happy about it. There was an interview with the ear, nose and throat doctor about how it works.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the Inspire treatment, after 18 years i can say i get sleep. Surgery was a simple outpatiant deal, never painful uncomfortable a few days. The only thing i feel is my toungh moves. I am a commercial driver and need compliancy to keep liscene. If i can answer any further feel free to ask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,067 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 162 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,264 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,357 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 960 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.