Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery
Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery
I was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea a few years ago. I've always been only able to sleep on my sides but not my back. Whenever I fall asleep and rolled on my back by accident, I will just get suffocated, which is a really terrible and scary experience. CPAP didn't work well on me. However, without it I was always able to sleep normally on my sides.

But things has changed this year. I went to an ENT, and had a DISE (Drug-Induced Sleep Endoscopy) and a radiofrequency tongue base reduction. Ever since the procedure, I'm still not able to sleep on my back. And I'm no longer able to fall asleep easily, even on my sides. When I finally fall asleep on my side after lying in bed for an hour or 2, I started to snore. I never snored in the past. Besides, I constantly wake up during the night. I'm only able to sleep 3-4 hours a night. I no longer can enter deep sleep, because I constantly choke and need to grasp air during sleep. 

My doctor said that during the DISE, he found my tongue tissue totally collapsed and blocked my airway when I was on my back. Now the blockage is getting better for sure. He always showed it to me with a nasal scope device in the last office visit. When I'm awake now, I might be able to breathe a little bit better, and I can sing better I think. However, my sleep has definitely got worse. It started impacting my everyday life. I feel tired and unrestful most time of the day. 

I just feel so bad about myself. I never thought a procedure that is considered safe and minimal invasive can make my situation worse.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery
I'd guess it's time for CPAP therapy again. These surgeries have a low success rate of restoring better sleep than does CPAP.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When you say that Cpap didn't work for you, can you be more specific?
Were you unable to get good results, or was it just uncomfortable?

What Cpap did you use? Fire it up, and be sure there is an SD card in it.

Next, download OSCAR. Follow the links in my signature line to help guide you.
When your ready, post a Screenshot of the daily page here for review.

Although, there is nothing you can do about a surgery that did not work out as you thought, you can however get back on a proven therapy. At least we can help with that.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let me offer a different take on "positional sleep apnea" and offer a less invasive therapy suggestion. These wiki articles were written for the many CPAP using members that still had clusters of obstructive apnea, even with therapy. We found a simple soft cervical collar was usually very effective in eliminating these events. I hope you will take the time to read these short articles.
Positional apnea: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
soft cervical collars http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In case anybody looked up "radiofrequency ablation to tongue base" in an attempt to find anecdotal experiences- there is an initial swelling that takes weeks to months to reduce. Initially your tongue base will be MORE swollen and therefore obstruct your airway even worse than pre-surgery. Given that this person made one post and disappeared, never to be seen again, I presume that enough time passed for their swelling to go down and they probably did start feeling better.

I'd bet that this person made this post not too long after the procedure, which is why they felt that their sleep was even worse.

I have had the procedure done (well technically a superficial form of it) and have initial swelling that makes my tongue base appear larger than pre-surgery, my sleep is worse than before. However, my surgeon advised me that this would take weeks to go down.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 179 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 37 2,161 04-15-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  clenching teeth, biting tongue JenniferJuniper 13 249 04-15-2024, 09:46 AM
Last Post: JenniferJuniper
Thumbsdown Tongue Holder / Retainer with CPAP does not meet expectations. G. Szabo 8 247 04-12-2024, 02:02 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Confused and frustrated - question about F&P Evora NewlyDiagnosed 11 229 04-10-2024, 08:52 AM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  [CPAP] Worsening OSA After Bariatric Surgery Ibrumley 8 233 04-02-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  anyone with positive apnea reduction using emf shielding over bed? Pierelly 7 326 03-21-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.