Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Vitamin C for Central Sleep Apnea?
RE: Vitamin C for Central Sleep Apnea?
(08-22-2013, 10:20 PM)courtney123 Wrote:
(08-21-2013, 07:35 PM)dgossman Wrote: I also have a brother who is a doctor and a daughter who is a vet to consult with

I had to chuckle when I read this. I had a problem with high Lactic Acid for a couple of years. My doc couldn't do anything but monitor it.
One day I took my dog to the vet. He knew of my problem and I told him high LA seems to hit dogs a lot and what did he do. Answer: sprinkle bi-carb on his food. Or, take aspirin free Alka Seltzer.

Worked like a charm and my doc moved it into her bag of tricks.
That was one smart vet Shy

So true - generally tougher to get into vet school than med school so there are some doctors out there who are wannna-be vets. And as my daughter points out doctors only study one animal.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, DocWils, very much for the grapefruit info. I did not know any of that!

(08-22-2013, 09:28 AM)DocWils Wrote: Ellen,

Just be sure that you are not taking the grapefruit with certain medications - there is considerable evidence that it can make them work in other than expected ways, either strengthening them or diluting them, or altering their ability to bind with the correct receptors. On the whole, the daily aspirin should be taken at least an hour apart from anything like a grapefruit, and that at least two hours apart from heart, blood pressure or thinners medication.

Never combine aspirin with any other medication except PPRIs (stomach medicine) and never use grapefruit with any medication, including many herbal meds.

Post Reply Post Reply
It has been about a year so I thought I would do a follow up. I continue with the vitamin C strategy and it continues to work. I have not had a vagal afib event in over a year and my hemoglobin levels are now down in the high normal range and all I do to keep them flat is donate blood once every two months. I have reduced the prescription medicine dosage considerably and am looking at running some experiments in the near future where I do not take it at all for awhile. I do still struggle with migraines and am continuing to look for solutions to that issue - starting to see potential correlation with low blood pressure events. Would still be interested in hearing if anyone else has used vitamin C to attempt to control sleep apnea and get blood O2 levels up into the normal range.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well done, and thanks for the update. If you have documented the whole thing, I would think that submitting it to a university for analysis and publication would be of great benefit.

Keep up the good work and good health.
Post Reply Post Reply
I still think people don't understand what vitamins are.

Your body is like a metabolic cook making the proteins and other chemicals your body needs to function. The food, minerals, and vitamins you ingest are like the ingredients in the panty.

When a cook wants to make bread, he needs flour, eggs, milk, salt, sugar, and yeast. If your pantry doesn't have enough yeast, the cook may have to skimp on the yeast and the bread won't rise properly. If the recipe calls for 1 tablespoons of yeast, and your pantry has 20 tablespoons of yeast, it doesn't make the bread any better.

It's good to have a reasonable "safety" margin of mineral/vitamin ingredients in your "metabolic pantry" just so you never run short, but as long as you never "run out", extra vitamins and minerals don't make your body work any better.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Confused... My bread recipe doesn't call for eggs.. Can I use vitamin E instead?

Or, optionally, can I use my bread as a filter for my cpap machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2014, 06:00 PM)archangle Wrote: When a cook wants to make bread, he needs flour, eggs, milk, salt, sugar, and yeast.
With these ingredients, you won't be making just bread, you,ll be making brioche (very upmarket baker)
Lets them eat cakes Coffee or Qu'ils mangent de la brioche as Marie Antoinette said upon learning that the peasants had no bread
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSL1TpSzFC0jUh89W8vmTz...MMCsUdQgD3]
Post Reply Post Reply
My home made bread has eggs.

This is not my recipe, but some bread recipes contain eggs. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Rons-Bread-...px?evt19=1

Useful links.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes an age old recipe needs to be updated.
The US RDA was established in the 1930s to avoid vitamin deficiency diseases like scurvy and pellagra. The RDA has been successful at that goal.
Today Americans are suffering from degenerative diseases like heart disease and cancer. Current research suggest oxidative stress is a root cause of many of these diseases.
It has been suggested that extra doses of antioxidants may inhibit the oxidative damage and delay or minimize the damage done by these diseases.
For example Linus Pauling's research suggests vitamin C doses measured in grams rather than milligrams would be more appropriate. Of course he died in his early 90's so it isn't clear that he was correct.
There are few double blind studies because there is no big profit motivation to prove that a 10 cent dose works better than a $10 dose of a prescription.

(07-29-2014, 06:00 PM)archangle Wrote: I still think people don't understand what vitamins are.

Your body is like a metabolic cook making the proteins and other chemicals your body needs to function. The food, minerals, and vitamins you ingest are like the ingredients in the panty.

When a cook wants to make bread, he needs flour, eggs, milk, salt, sugar, and yeast. If your pantry doesn't have enough yeast, the cook may have to skimp on the yeast and the bread won't rise properly. If the recipe calls for 1 tablespoons of yeast, and your pantry has 20 tablespoons of yeast, it doesn't make the bread any better.

It's good to have a reasonable "safety" margin of mineral/vitamin ingredients in your "metabolic pantry" just so you never run short, but as long as you never "run out", extra vitamins and minerals don't make your body work any better.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2014, 03:36 PM)bwexler Wrote: Sometimes an age old recipe needs to be updated.
The US RDA was established in the 1930s to avoid vitamin deficiency diseases like scurvy and pellagra. The RDA has been successful at that goal.
Today Americans are suffering from degenerative diseases like heart disease and cancer. Current research suggest oxidative stress is a root cause of many of these diseases.
It has been suggested that extra doses of antioxidants may inhibit the oxidative damage and delay or minimize the damage done by these diseases.
For example Linus Pauling's research suggests vitamin C doses measured in grams rather than milligrams would be more appropriate. Of course he died in his early 90's so it isn't clear that he was correct.

Linus Pauling's vitamin C theory was pretty much debunked decades ago, with many studies.

The "oxidative stress is a root cause" statement is pure quackery.

Once you get above the "MDR" Minimum Daily Requirement levels of vitamins and minerals that prevent deficiency diseases like scurvy or pellagra, some vitamins and supplements may have some healthy effects, but it's very minor.

Even the studies that show some possible improvement show very minor improvements, usually on the hairy edge of being statistically detectable. The quacks, "nature lovers," health food salesmen, and news media make it sound like Woo root is the cure for cancer. When you look at the the actual data, even a wildly optimistic estimate is something like a few percent improvement. Even that usually doesn't hold up when you do sufficiently large and well controlled studies.

I don't trust the drug companies. As Dilbert said, "I think they'd kill us in our sleep and sell our organs if the return on investment was good." The problem is that the "alternative medicine" sellers make the drug companies look like saints.
Useful links.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 602 11 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 248 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,525 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 356 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,406 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 294 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.