Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Waking up on BiPap [adjustment assistance needed]
Waking up on BiPap [adjustment assistance needed]
Hi,

I am very new to this forum. Would like some feedback on whether there is headway to my BiPAP therapy and ways to improve it. I have been using BiPAP for a month.

Sleep study report shows AHI 10-15 during non-rem and AHI 40-45 during rem sleep.

My machine setup is:
BiPAP: Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto BiPAP
Pressure settings: PAP Mode: Auto Bi-Level (Variable PS) 
                          Min EPAP 4.0
                          Max IPAP 15.0
                          PS 2.0-8.0 (cmH2O)
Additional Settings: Smart-Ramp on
                            Ramp-Time set at 0.20
                            Ramp-Start set at 4.0
                            Bi-Flex set at 2

Before going to bed, the machine displays IPAP 6 and EPAP 4. 

I wake up after 4-5 hours due to the pressure change. IPAP was increased to 12 and EPAP is at 4. After which, there was difficulty getting back to sleep while trying to accommodate to the increased IPAP. I noticed after exhalation that I did not want to continue inhalation again and thus stop breathing for a few seconds. After getting out of breath, I'd inhale again. 

There were nights that I was puzzled about what was happening and could it be Central Apnea. So, I tried sitting up straight for about 30 minutes with the BiPAP. Oddly, I was still having the same inhale-exhale-stop, end up out of breath and begin breathing again situation. 

I showed the SD card data to my machine vendor, and asked if their machine settings were tunable to improve my AHI. They suggested there was Central Apnea and recommendation was to continue usage for the next 6 months and monitor if the situation improves.

Would any kind member please review my situation and offer their insights? Much help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Rowan
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waking up on BiPap
Something doesn’t seem quite right with your settings, mabye epap is too low. I’m no expert on bipap settings...just bumping your thread so you can receive advice. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waking up on BiPap [adjustment assistance needed]
Just my opinion but I'd set both the minimum and maximum Pressure Support to 2cm and try to reduce those CA events. I'd also increase your EPAP pressure to 6cm so you can breath easy. 4cm is too low for most people.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
You are experiencing a number of flow limitations and hypopnea, and this is what is driving your machine to increase pressure support. Unfortunately, when pressure support exceeds 5-cm you have too many CA events. I think we can probably help here without cutting pressure support quite as drastically as suggested by Walla.

OA is very low, so the EPAP minimum of 4.0 is acceptable, however there might be some benefit to increasing this to 4.5. You need pressure support to treat the hypopnea and flow limitations, so I think EPAP min needs to be 3.0 and EPAP max needs to be 5.0. If this continues to produce excessive CA we can cut the PS max down to 4.5, 4.0 in 0.5 cm increments. The IPAP max setting won't make any difference because your EPAP never moves off the minimum and if that continues to be the case, IPAP won't exceed 9.0 anyway.

What is your current BiFlex setting?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all and thanks for your time and replies.

@Sleeprider:
My current BiFlex is turned on and set to level 2. This machine also does not give me EPAP max setting and EPAP min permissible lowest setting is 4.

The pressure settings I found to be adjustable are EPAP min, IPAP Max, PS min and PS max. There is also comfort settings which are Smart-Ramp, Ramp-Start and Bi-Flex.

Since EPAP max is not adjustable on my end, should I proceed by setting EPAP min to 4.5-5 and monitor again for excessive CA amount?

Thanks all,
Rowan
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider meant to say Pressure Support minimum of 3cm and maximum pressure support of 5cm. Also setting the Minimum EPAP of 4.5-5cm.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
What he said ^^ Sorry I was unclear.

A slight increase in EPAP min to stabilize the airway, 4.5-5.0
Increase PS min to 3.0 for hypopnea and flow limits
Decrease PS max to 5.0 to avoid CA events
EPAP max to 9.0 mostly because you don't need any more than that, and probably won't even go above 6.0. Resultant max IPAP will be 14.0.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,

Thanks for the settings recommendation. 

I will update the settings on my machine, and also post the results after 1-2 nights of use.

You all have been of tremendous help.

Regards,
Rowan
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,

I am now sleeping soundly throughout the night while using the BiPAP with the new settings.

EPAP min: 5.0
PS min to 3.0
PS max to 4.5-5.0

On the other hand, my AHI still over 5 on most days. And I know that AHI is still an important factor even though my sleep was uninterrupted. 

A new Event Flag (Vibratory Snore) also appeared in the SleepyHead report.

I am unsure of what to do next, would you all recommend what the best course of action should be?

Thanks in advance,
Rowan
Post Reply Post Reply
Rowan, things have improved. The events are still heavily biased toward central apnea, and that may mean we should further reduce PS max to 4.0.

I'd like to get a zoomed in view of the flow rate, and it doesn't need to be where events are occurring. We're looking for a 2-minute period where the flow wave is clearly visible. The reason to look at this is to understand why the machine is averaging your inspiration time as relatively long compared to expiration time. I presume that is an error by the machine, which is common, and to see if decreasing the rise time might help. Also, what is your BiFlex level set to?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to BiPAP, hoping for titration assistance? (Probable UARS) Easing5319 15 1,140 04-17-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: jkossis
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 192 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 153 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Gross Waking up anxious Gailofiowa 3 109 04-09-2024, 08:10 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Chart help needed SteveC 4 179 04-07-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 367 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
  Help needed how to use cpap on a plane June11 3 185 04-02-2024, 11:09 AM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.