Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] What is considered successful treatment?
What is considered successful treatment?
What has the experience of users been with what doctors, insurance, etc count as successful treatment of apnea? If in 6 months the best I can get from a apap/cpap is 6-7 ahi nightly, down from 24 in my sleep study, is that considered good (enough) or that further treatment is necessary to get it under 5?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What is considered successful treatment?
Since 5 AHI is considered to be "normal" by medical professionals that is what you should at least aim to be under. It looks like you have certainly made an improvement but should hopefully have room for improvement. Most of the people are going to ask you to post Sleepyhead data so that they can see what is going on. Sometimes it is as simple as a little pressure tweak to make a huge improvement in your numbers.

Good luck.

Edit: I see your other thread now and that you are getting some assistance in the pressure department.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have worked for several years on cpap. It took 4-6 months to feel a lot better and many adjustments to the machine. With an auto cpap, this forum and Sleepyhead my AHI is under 2 almost always. I feel so much better, sleep better and act better.

Good Luck to you. Hang in their.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
I started with 80 events per hour pre cpap. Now it's 0.5 (which is probably due to turning during my sleep or yawning) and AHI of 0.5

Maybe another sleep study with your machine and mask will reveal what the 7 represents? Or give it another couple of months then take it up with someone.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I read the title of this thread, my immediate reaction was:  If you're still alive, the therapy is a success!  
While I realize this is a somewhat facetious comment, it really is the truth.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 224 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 177 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 52,626 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  New here, trying to optimize treatment sweetbobby 10 561 03-03-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: sweetbobby
Question [Treatment] Treatment Emergent Central Apnea or Insomnia -- which is it? mallar 1 271 03-02-2024, 01:57 PM
Last Post: mallar
  [Pressure] Improving ASV Treatment SleepyBoi97 5 284 01-26-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Wayne41
  UARS Treatment [Using Philips ASV] SenatorBirch 27 3,515 01-21-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.