Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] What to do when you have a cold?
RE: What to do when you have a cold?
B4 XPAP I would use a Nasal Steamer before going to bed to clear my sinuses when they were clogged. Sometimes I would sleep in the chair and use the nasal steamer on and off all night. I also was a heavy user of eucalyptus in those days.

Now with the XPAP I put the water tank in the microwave for 3 minutes which raises the water temperature to around 66 c or 150F. I also and an extra pillow to give me a bit more incline for the night. The air output from the hose at first is around bound 104F degrees, but drops quickly to my standard setting 86F. By then my sinus have cleared and I am making z's Bed
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sonicboom, As usual I've gotten good advice from the Forum. Now I'm not scared about getting a cold. It seems like it's not going to be as formidable as I had imagined. And I really didn't want to get a FF mask because I didn't think I'd like it, plus the money, since I can't have two from Medicare.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I started I was quite worried that when my sneezing allergies came on, and my runny nose that runs like a faucet that this would be the most awful thing ever. Turns out with my climate line turned all the way up, and the humidifier I'm actually worse when the machine is off than when it's on. I wake up in the morning feeling good, take off the mask and then my nose is running everywhere, wish I could wear it all day sometimes. In the winter getting a bad cold it's a relief using the machine at night. Only once was I unable to use the machine because of a really bad cough.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes! When I am really congested, I will sometimes wear the CPAP just for the warm humidification. Then I just turn off that data from Sleepy Head.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepytimegal, I have COPD in addition to apnea, and I am militant about keeping myself cootie-free. As I tell people, "A cold that may be an inconvenience to you could kill me". When I worked in an office, I was amazed at how many people came in to work with full-blown colds!!! What the heck?!?!?!?!

Here is my best piece of advice: Saline nasal spray. Use it all the time, especially if you will be around other people. There are no medicines in it, and you can use it as much as you want. Germs can't survive in the saline environment.

I can't tell you how many people I have told about this over the years who have come back to me to say that they've very rarely had a cold since using the saline nasal spray religiously.

I use Ocean brand, but they are all good. I keep one at my desk, one in my purse, one in my car glovebox.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks trish6hundred, I'm thinking it might be good to order a FF mask and see what works for me. I would get it on trial. If I have a bad cold and need one right away it's no time to have to start from square one, not even knowing what would work for me.

However, from what I'm reading, it sounds like the nasal pillows might work just as well, along with nasal sprays and OTC meds/home remedies. So do I really need a FF mask?

So, in spite of the good advice, I'm left a bit unsure of what to do. I'm thinking I will probably do a trial on a FF mask. It could come in handy to have one as a back-up. But now I know it's no reason to panic if I come down with a cold. If I can't find a FF mask that I like, the nasal pillows might serve me just as well. So my anxiety about the matter is now gone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep2Snore
I like your idea of medicating the air, and I've got plenty of yogurt containers. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have yet to have a cold, but most people have assured me that I can continue to use my regular mask lineup. However, when I have inflamed sinuses, I found the Sleepweaver masks to be superior. Sure they have some annoying leaks into your eyes (get a Walgreens sleep mask), but I found they nearly always stay below the Resmed leak threshhold AND don't cause pain when you already have swollen cheeks, nose area. They are a tad more expensive and may not be covered by your insurance. I can't decide which I like better - the SleepWeaver Advance Nasal Cloth CPAP Mask with Improved Seal or the Elan. However, since I primarily use them only when I have sinus problems, they will last me 2-3 years easy. Although I've been training myself to stop sleeping on my face, this IS a mask you can use sleeping on your face.
Post Reply Post Reply
The conventional wisdom when you have a cold is to "feed it". Yup, starve a fever, feed a cold.

I recommend pizza.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I keep using my p10 nasal pillows when I am congested. I do watch my data every morning when it happens. My AHI stays under 1 as usual so it's all good.

I had a really bad case of congestion recently. I saw that my AHI increased to 20 in the morning. I upped my constant pressure from 8 to 8.5 and it dropped back to 4 next night. When the cold cleared I went back to pressure of 8 and AHI JD settled back in <1 range.

So increasing your pressure may be something worth trying in cases of bad cold.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tips for continuing PAP through a cold Bostonsnow 4 535 07-28-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Head cold Barbara.Levitan 2 597 03-10-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Equipment] Cold-weather camping? tundranapper 4 877 05-26-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  High pressures causing/worsening cold symptoms Chalkie 4 820 11-26-2021, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Chalkie
  BiPAP advisable with a cold? BobbieM 10 1,236 06-16-2021, 01:47 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Using CPAP while fighting off a cold or flue AlwaysTired2018 5 883 09-02-2020, 08:16 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question When I snooze my alarm, wake up groggy and have high SpO2 100% with hands cold. MyronH 1 947 02-22-2020, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.