Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Wife just started CPAP!
Ohmy 
Wife just started CPAP!

Hello all, as the subject line says my wife is just starting out on her CPAP journey. I have been a successful CPAP user for five years now. She has accepted that she must use the machine but is struggling a bit, like many others.
Her sleep study AHI was:
Calculated Variables: Total AHI: 20.2/hr Total RDI: 20.4/hr
NREM AHI:13.5/hr  NREM RDI: 13.8/hr
REM AHI: 54.5/hr   REM RDI: 54.5/hr 
Minimum oxygen saturation = 85%
Longest apnoea (sec) = 22.5
Longest hypopnoea (sec) = 45.
Arousal index (lhr of sleep) = 22.1
Periodic limb movement index (/hr of sleep) =

She is trialing a Resmed Autoset 10, same as my machine. Her initial suggested pressure was 6-18 on Autoset. In an attempt to make her first night comfortable I set the pressure at 6-14 , and I think that was a mistake on my part. She has an appointment to follow up on her progress in five weeks. So we have a little time to call on the forum brains trust to settle her in. She is currently using a Resmed F30i mask but she has a Resmed F10 full face mask to trial as well. Oscar will not allow me to take an F12 screenshot for some reason.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Wife just started CPAP
You have 2 very different nights. I would increase both the top and bottom number. Low number between 8 or 9 and the top 20. She did not have a problem with the top pressure the first night but the second night she topped out and needed mor support but I’m don’t know how high she needed so moved it up to 20. There are a lot of flow limits and that is why an increase in the lower number. 

Maybe Bonjour or sleeprider will stop by both are great with advice.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Wife just started CPAP!
From the clustering of obstructive events it appears she is experiencing positional apnea most commonly caused by tucking the chin to the chest. An increase in pressure will not overcome the restriction caused by positional apnea. Chin tucking can be eliminated by the use of  a soft cervical collar. See the link in my signature to learn more and also go to the link included in the article to an article on positional apnea. I hope this is helpful. I and many others have had success using soft cervical collars.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Wife just started CPAP!
Thank you for jumping in melman.  You nailed it.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just getting started, looking for an OSCAR data review mattcole3 3 103 04-12-2024, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 168 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,681 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  started to get a lot more centrals, questions airwaystent 3 269 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 834 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 351 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Started CPAP treatment - Would like advice on my sleep study and OSCAR information Mythique 27 2,860 01-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.