Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tongue Tie Surgery Dramatically Improved My Apnea
Tongue Tie Surgery Dramatically Improved My Apnea
Just thought I would share that I was able to improve my sleep apnea quite a bit with this simple 15 second medical procedure. I used to average an AHI of 3 or so with my CPAP and now it is always under 1. And subjectively the improvement feels even better than that. Before the procedure if I opened my mouth and stuck out my tongue I could not even see my uvula. Now I can see the whole thing. It really opened up the back of my throat.

If you do some research on tongue ties you might be surprised to find you have one. Apparently in the past midwives would routinely clip these at birth but once modern society transitioned to hospital birthing this old tradition was forgotten about.

Most notable is that I no longer wake up with my heart pounding at night. That is what really bothered me. I think this might have improved the apnea reflex along with the apnea. Perhaps having your tongue tethered to the floor of the mouth prevents it's natural movement that would normally clear an apnea and wakes you up more than it should.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tongue Tie Surgery Dramatically Improved My Apnea
Do you have some charts of before and after surgery? I don't recall if your events used to occur in clusters or evenly distributed through the night, and maybe what we have identified as positional, could also be explained by your problem. It sounds like recovery was relatively pain-free and short?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tongue Tie Surgery Dramatically Improved My Apnea
My wife is looking into this, not for apnea, and apparently one key to long-term efficacy (i.e. not reverting back to a tied tongue) is doing some myofascial tongue exercises. Has that been your experience?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 164 Yesterday, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 37 2,153 04-15-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  clenching teeth, biting tongue JenniferJuniper 13 241 04-15-2024, 09:46 AM
Last Post: JenniferJuniper
Thumbsdown Tongue Holder / Retainer with CPAP does not meet expectations. G. Szabo 8 241 04-12-2024, 02:02 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [CPAP] Worsening OSA After Bariatric Surgery Ibrumley 8 230 04-02-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 765 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 533 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.