Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Treatment help/CPAP
Treatment help/CPAP
Hello,

I was diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea over 12 years ago.  If I remember correct I had 85 episodes and hour.  I had an older CPAP marchine that was replaced with a Resmed S9 about 6 years ago.  The setting is 9.  

I know it is working somewhat as I snore instantly without it and get headaches.  Over the past 2 or so years I don’t think I am getting the full benefits of the CPAP.  I have brought his to the attention of my sleep doctor and he shows me the CPAP is working by showing me the Titration results from 12 years ago.  12 years ago!!!!!  I have gained more weight since then (70 lbs) which probably is not helping.  My shirt neck size has went from a 17.5 to a 19.  

Are additional studies needed or retitration needed?  How about service on the CPAP machine as aside from replacement masks/hoses the machine has never been checked up on.

Any otter advancements in Sleep Apnea treatment?  I use the machine because I have to but I still hate it.  The feel of a pillow without wearing a mask is amazing.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Treatment help/CPAP
(04-11-2018, 10:35 AM)Robneedssleep Wrote: Hello,

I was diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea over 12 years ago.  If I remember correct I had 85 episodes and hour.  I had an older CPAP marchine that was replaced with a Resmed S9 about 6 years ago.  The setting is 9.  

I know it is working somewhat as I snore instantly without it and get headaches.  Over the past 2 or so years I don’t think I am getting the full benefits of the CPAP.  I have brought his to the attention of my sleep doctor and he shows me the CPAP is working by showing me the Titration results from 12 years ago.  12 years ago!!!!!  I have gained more weight since then (70 lbs) which probably is not helping.  My shirt neck size has went from a 17.5 to a 19.  

Are additional studies needed or retitration needed?  How about service on the CPAP machine as aside from replacement masks/hoses the machine has never been checked up on.

Any otter advancements in Sleep Apnea treatment?  I use the machine because I have to but I still hate it.  The feel of a pillow without wearing a mask is amazing.

Is your machine the ResMed S9 AutoSet, or the S9 Elite? The AutoSet and the new A10 AutoSet do have some advantages if you have the fixed pressure Elite model. But even if it is the Elite model it still captures data. I would suggest the starting point is to download SleepyHead and look at the data in your machine. Post the Daily detail screenshot here, and you will get lots of helpful comments. If you can get away with a nasal pillow style mask like the ResMed P10 they can be a considerable comfort step up too. Anyway, see the links for help in getting started with SleepyHead. That will be your biggest step forward - finding out where you are now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.

What Ron is getting to is a Self Titration to tweak your therapy.  You had a Sleep study, 12 years ago and it said that you needed treatment.  Very, very few people EVER have their apnea "cured".  We do see a need to periodically tweak one's treatment.  The mechanism we use for this is mostly Sleepyhead.  The gurus here are very adept at helping others tweak their treatment.

So download Sleepthead (free) and post your daily charts and we will actually see what is going on and be able to help you.  The how tos are all in my signature.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board. You've already got great advice from others. Likely you're needing to adjust pressure settings to bring them up to date. Follow the suggestions already given and I'm sure it will help.

Best wishes on success.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2018, 10:35 AM)Robneedssleep Wrote: Are additional studies needed or retitration needed?  How about service on the CPAP machine as aside from replacement masks/hoses the machine has never been checked up on.

No retitration or additional studies are required unless your insurance requires it for a new machine.  Many of us use an Auto-machines because it automatically raises pressure to where it needs to be (gain or loss of weight, yes, that may change things).   Until we know what machine you have and what data you can produce, it's hard to make suggestions.

I agree - love the feel of the pillow without wearing a mask, but I'm replacing my mattress so that I can, once again, sleep on my back.  Then it will cease to be a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
With more weight the chances are you will need more pressure.
If the S9 is an APAP it should take care of it, if not you will need to adjust the pressure or get the clinic doctor to adjust the pressure up a bit.
The best answer is an APAP and let it take of any pressure adjustments that you require.
If it is an APAP you have put the maximum pressure up and the machine will adjust to your needs.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the group Robneedssleep! I agree that it would be great not to have to wear a mask and just have one's head on the pillow. It does feel awesome. But I, like you, suffer from headaches and snoring when not using my xPAP. It is worth it for your health. But I am sure you already know this.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 38 9 hours ago
Last Post: TiredTim
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 118 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 274 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 194 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 52,985 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  New here, trying to optimize treatment sweetbobby 10 579 03-03-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: sweetbobby

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.