Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] help with oscar and CPAP settings
Question 
help with oscar and CPAP settings
Hi All,
This looks to be a great community.  I have been on CPAP for the last 4 weeks. Still feel like needing a nap during the day, getting some afternoon headaches. Looking for some help with my current oscar output and settings.  Thanks

thanks in advance,

Sean

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: help with oscar and CPAP settings
Welcome

You have what we call positional apnea.  This means that you are tipping your chin toward your chest while you sleep.  This has the same effect as kinking a hose.  It makes it hard for the air to get through so you end up with more apnea than you would otherwise have.  This cannot be fixed by changing any settings.  You need to either sleep on a much flatter pillow or wear a soft cervical collar (like people wear for neck pain).  I tried various soft collars and found the Caldera Releaf Collar on Amazon worked well and was more comfortable than the rest.  Then I bought a child-size pillow with a raised front edge that tips my head back a little.  This works wonderfully and is very comfortable, and I love it.  My pillow is no longer made but there are other pillows on Amazon that I think would work the same way.  Here are two:

https://www.amazon.com/MLILY-Adjustable-...153&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Hcore-Adjustable-...r=8-6&th=1

Both of these are made with three layers of foam, so you can remove some it it works better for you.

Also, I suggest that you change your EPR setting to full-time at 3.  This should help with your flow limits and make your sleep more comfortable.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
The first I would do is set min 7  EPR full time set at 3 to see how this feels and how it events react to the new setting.  You also have some positional apnea You can see positional apnea where either H or Oa events are clustered together.  Getting rid of as many as you can will lower your AHI.  Positional apnea can NOT be controlled by pressure changes.  You have to find out what position you are getting into and cutting off your own airway.  Have you changed your sleep position?  Sleeping on your back?  Using more (or new) pillows?  These things can cause positional apnea by chin dropping to your sternum and cutting your airway.  Think of it of a kinked hose – nothing can get through – you have to unkink the hose…

IF you can’t make a simple change like changing to a flatter pillow helps then you will need a collar.  I have a link to collars in my signature at the bottom of the page.  It shows people who are not wearing a collar and the SAME person wearing a collar.  There is a huge difference between the two.a.  
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all your suggestions Deborah K and staceyburke.  Since Deborah K's reply I have set my EPR to 3 fulltime, started using a much flatter pillow and trying to sleep on my side. My energy levels have been much better the last 2 days -Thank you.  I have attached some updated OSCAR data, which I think looks much better.

I just saw Staceyburkes reply now with the suggestion to up my minimum pressure from 6.4 to 7, so will try that.  Are there any further adjustments you would suggest from the latest data?

Thanks so much.  You provide a great service here.

Sean

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar CPAP Optimization Results-Awesome!? SeePak 22 574 04-22-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: SeePak
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 3 208 04-20-2024, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  Help Adjusting Settings based on Oscar data rygonzo93 5 172 04-19-2024, 10:07 AM
Last Post: rygonzo93
  New Bilevel user help with settings (oscar attached) opo218 6 178 04-15-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: opo218
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 3 256 04-04-2024, 08:32 AM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 379 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 9 692 03-30-2024, 08:27 AM
Last Post: jdavis

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.