Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] maxillomandibular advancement surgery
maxillomandibular advancement surgery
Since I was a child a snored (I am now a 53 year old female). Close to 10 years ago after a boyfriend stated that he just couldn't be in the same bed anymore because of how loud I was, I had a sleep study. I was not overweight at all but stopped breathing over 85 times an hour for more then 10 seconds at a time. Did years of cpap machines, oral appliances. It got so bad that I couldn't drive more than 10 minutes without falling asleep and pretty much anytime I sat down I would fight falling asleep even after just a minute or two. Long story short I finally found a surgeon who did double jaw surgery and genioplasty. I am happy to say for the first time in my life (surgery was 3 months ago) I am sleeping all night and have more energy then I have ever had. No snoring...no falling asleep....weight is coming off....very painful procedure and still recovering from it...but boy what a difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: maxillomandibular advancement surgery
I am happy you found help!
I don't need anything that invasive but in retrospect I share having had OSA at least as far back as being an otherwise fit skinny barely 20 yr old.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dstamey,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hopefully, the surgery will continue to work for you.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2015, 05:58 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi dstamey,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

Hi there, I'm just curious what you meant by "Hopefully, the surgery will continue to work for you"

Do you mean that even post-surgery the OSA can come back?

Thanks,

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2015, 07:42 AM)buzzair Wrote:
(06-15-2015, 05:58 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi dstamey,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

Hi there, I'm just curious what you meant by "Hopefully, the surgery will continue to work for you"

Do you mean that even post-surgery the OSA can come back?

Thanks,

Hi buzzair,

Not to speak for Trish but on a related note, I thought I would repost something I wrote on the other board regarding the MMA procedure.

""A meta-analysis by Holty and Guilleminault [5] pooled 53 reports describing 22 unique patient populations (627 patients), and found that the mean AHI decreased from 63.9/hr to 9.5/hr, with a pooled surgical success rate of 86%. Overall, 43.2% were cured (AHI < 5), with a 66.7% cure rate for those with a preoperative AHI < 30/hr. Long-term surgical success was maintained at 44 months. Predictors of surgical success included younger age, lower BMI, lower preoperative AHI, and greater degree of maxillary advancement. Quality of life measures, excessive daytime sleepiness, and blood pressure were noted to be significantly improved as well.""

To get the link, google "Maxillomandibular Advancement Surgery
A Permanent Solution for OSA". Because it qualifies as a commercial link, I can't post it directly.

By the way, I realize that a 9.5 AHI may not sound wonderful. But keep in mind, that MMA surgery as the OP pointed out is done as a last resort solution many times. So going from an average 63.9 AHI to 9.5 AHI is darned good when looked at it in that context.

49er
Post Reply Post Reply
IMHO, surgery should always be the choice of last resort. There is no such thing as minor surgery. Minor surgery is surgery on somebody else. I hope the surgery lasts for you with continued good results.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Worsening OSA After Bariatric Surgery Ibrumley 4 62 10 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,229 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 255 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 30 1,955 01-27-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 708 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,365 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  Thoughts on my data (after double jaw surgery) accetableplaintain 2 420 11-27-2023, 06:30 AM
Last Post: accetableplaintain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.