Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] no sleep
no sleep
Dont-know
After reading many posts, there appears to be a group of people that feel as I do. I wonder what the percentage is compared to the total population? My story:
I was diagnosed with sleep and recd a phillips respiro
nics System one Hid DOM auto machine with humidifier. They came to my home and provided instructions and setup. That was the last time I had 8 hours of sleep. I have changed masks, nasal pillows, changed humidifier settings tubing, turned of ramp, turned on ramp, adjusted ramp numbers but still no help. I have taken tubing and masks upon discharge from hospital recently and used on my machine. Hospital therapy not much different than home therapy. I constantly adjust mask and find I need some air leak around nose to feel like I have enough air. I have slept a few hours when I am over tired but always am up at 3am pulling mask off. I feel that I cannot get enough air to breathe. I have called the supplier but not getting a response. Talked with my MD who nods and says " it just takes time". Consequently, anytime I am in the recliner, I fall asleep for 2-4 hours screwing up my sleep pattern. I gave myself 6 months to acclimate . It is past 6 months and I have been unable to sleep with the machine on. sorry for the verbose missive! Can anyone help? I am close to tossing this torture device in the trash! No wonder there is a hgih number of non compliant patients!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: no sleep
A lot of people, on this forum, have reported a feeling of suffocation until they get their pressure setting to at least 7 or higher. Since my therapy was started at a higher pressure than 7, I haven't experienced your problem. So please regard my 2 cents as just "parroting" what I've read.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your CPAP pressure is truly 5, you might not be getting enough air to feel comfortable. Not familiar with your machine as you describe, perhaps others on the list can elaborate. If it is truly an auto machine and is set up as straight CPAP, you might benefit from switching it to auto mode. I will let the more experianced members chime in. Just know, that you can get used to this therapy, it can be comfortable, and you will feel better when you do. There are many methods to use to get used to it, such as using it while awake, etc. I found that it was largely a matter of attitude, A positive attitude will see you through to a good outcome, a negative attitude will doom you to failure.
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds as if you should start to take control of your therapy instead of depending on DME and Docs.

First download the clinicians manual and Sleepyhead software. Both links at top of page.
When you have done that, you can send us an attachment of a typical night, then we can take a look.

Just a guess, your start pressure is too low, and you may be experiencing mask leaks.

If you have an APAP, why aren't you using the auto mode? We can help if you do your part, it's been six months. We can advise if we can see your data. Smile

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-11-2015, 12:28 PM)OpalRose Wrote: It sounds as if you should start to take control of your therapy instead of depending on DME and Docs.

First download the clinicians manual and Sleepyhead software. Both links at top of page.
When you have done that, you can send us an attachment of a typical night, then we can take a look.

Just a guess, your start pressure is too low, and you may be experiencing mask leaks.

If you have an APAP, why aren't you using the auto mode? We can help if you do your part, it's been six months. We can advise if we can see your data. Smile
What she said.
Also if you have ramp enabled I think every time you shut machine off it restars the ramp and that could be exacerbating your problems.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Calliopy,

Welcome to the forum.

There is actually good news even though you're probably wondering if I have lost my mind. Smile There is room for optimizing your therapy as the reason you are probably feeling suffocation as your pressure is 5. I wouldn't last one second on that pressure, much less 6 months. You are a trooper for putting up with that.

Anyway, it sounds like it needs to be raised and possibly switched to the auto mode. You may find you prefer a straight CPAP pressure but switching to the auto mode is important to nail down either what the range or straight pressure should be.

So if you could please follow previous advice to download sleepyhead and post a screen shot for examination by the forum, that would be helpful. And don't forget to download the manual so you can change the pressure.

Hang in there, we'll get your situation worked out.

49er
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same machine and am on a fixed pressure of 11. When the machine was set up the ramp was on. Following advice of those on this forum I turned it off--the initial blast at 11 takes about two breaths to adjust to then all is good. I had to be up to about 8 on the ramp before I could relax a little.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to ApneaBoard Caliopy2! Hope you get everything sorted out really soon! Then hopefully you will start to feel better and more rested.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
5 is very low, personally anything below 6 and only when I was relaxed made me feel like I was not getting enough air. I can't see ramp doing much because it starts at 4 and ramps to 5.

My guess is that at 5 you really are not getting enough air
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds to me like you did not get a quality sleep study. And perhaps a very lack luster DME effort.
Was it a home study or administered in a qualified sleep study situation?
4 or 5 pressure isn't much more then normal lung assisted breathing and at those pressures the addition of a mask on your face is definitely going to cause a feeling of suffocation.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 808 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,011 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 681 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Home sleep test vs. sleep study at clinic rikkitikkitavi 14 3,201 02-18-2022, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.