Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: respironics wisp
Humidifier: system one heated
CPAP Pressure: +8
CPAP Software: Not using software SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
oxygen?
I spent June to September last year with pneumonia. In the course of my treatment
I used supplemental oxygen to my cpap machine. The pneumonia has mostly resolved, but I still have dyspnea on exertion. For the last three weeks I've been trying the O2 at night again. I feel it helps with my sleep, without it I don't feel I'm getting enough oxygen. My AHI has been below my average of 0.3 AHI with the oxygen. Three nights in a row it was 0. I'm on a fixed pressure of 8. Should I be retested? My pulmonary doctors think I should be done with the oxygen. I'm in the VA system and they have no equipment available to check my oxygen level at home while I sleep. Anyone's thoughts would be appreciated. Regards...[/i]
01-18-2015 08:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

RE: oxygen?
(01-18-2015 08:27 PM)navy veteran 1968 Wrote:  I spent June to September last year with pneumonia. In the course of my treatment
I used supplemental oxygen to my cpap machine. The pneumonia has mostly resolved, but I still have dyspnea on exertion. For the last three weeks I've been trying the O2 at night again. I feel it helps with my sleep, without it I don't feel I'm getting enough oxygen. My AHI has been below my average of 0.3 AHI with the oxygen. Three nights in a row it was 0. I'm on a fixed pressure of 8. Should I be retested? My pulmonary doctors think I should be done with the oxygen. I'm in the VA system and they have no equipment available to check my oxygen level at home while I sleep. Anyone's thoughts would be appreciated. Regards...[/i]

What is your cardiac status? As strictly a layman, I would order a stress test with Technetium-99 radio tracer imaging.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-18-2015 08:32 PM
navy veteran 1968 Offline

Members

Machine: renstar auto a-flex system off
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: respironics wisp
Humidifier: system one heated
CPAP Pressure: +8
CPAP Software: Not using software SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

My heart is fine, I had an echocardiogram recently. My recent CT scan showed scarring and residue left from the pneumonia. Ron
01-18-2015 08:39 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(01-18-2015 08:39 PM)navy veteran 1968 Wrote:  My heart is fine, I had an echocardiogram recently. My recent CT scan showed scarring and residue left from the pneumonia. Ron

Glad to hear the first sentence. O2 is a double edged sword.
Too much can be a problem; and too little a problem.

OTOH -- I was put on 2 LPM supplementary O2 5 years ago; and have never been told to discontinue.

If you have the out of pocket ability, you might consider a recording pulse oximeter. Supplier #19 carries them. (Supplier List at top of page.)

Kindest Regards,

Mongo
USAF RVN

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-18-2015 10:13 PM
woozie38 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Fisher & Paykel Icon + Auto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Integral
CPAP Pressure: 8 to 14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: 17 years of CPAP + supp. oxygen @ 3 L/min

(01-18-2015 08:27 PM)navy veteran 1968 Wrote:  I spent June to September last year with pneumonia. In the course of my treatment

Hi, I'm not sure there's a direct correlation between SPO2 and AHI since AHI is an index of airway obstruction/restriction & SPO2 is a measure of blood oxygen saturation measured through the skin. Of course if you have an obstructive event, your O2 sat will drop down, but all being well after that it should recover as normal breathing resumes. INMHO an AHI of less than 1 is nothing to be concerned about. What really matters, & matters a lot is how you feel each day. So I too advise getting an oximeter and monitoring your O2 sat. It would seem you have some loss of lung function not related to SDB. Good luck

[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
05-07-2015 09:07 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

I really don't think the O2 at night will help the shortness of breath during the day. If the pneumonia is gone, then the daytime shortness may just be a matter of rebuilding your stamina. That can take some time. Just do a little more each day but don't wear your system out by doing too much.

As to feeling like you are not getting enough oxygen at night, that sounds more like an issue with the pressure being a little too low rather than needing supplemental oxygen. Kind of hard to tell for sure though without measuring it.

The little finger o2 test gadgets are a very inexpensive way to keep your eye on things. A better answer might be a recording oximeter available as was pointed out, from Supplier #17. I just ordered a CMS-50F from them myself. Service handling my order and getting the product in the mail has been great.
05-07-2015 10:36 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  new to cpap and oxygen worried 8 216 12-02-2016 05:53 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Pulse Oxygen Sensor muddywaters 6 315 11-27-2016 07:23 PM
Rainbow [Diagnosis] They want me to use a CPAP with oxygen concentrator Apneaprincess 47 7,639 11-11-2016 05:18 PM
Last Post: David44142
  Oxygen adapter on CPAP hose PaulaO2 6 501 08-29-2016 12:00 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  CPAP with oxygen Concentrator tanwt 23 2,212 07-21-2016 04:31 AM
Question Low Oxygen, Low Red Blood cell count and Low T kwhenrykerr 0 279 07-21-2016 04:11 AM
  [CPAP] Oxygen sensing and recording shnorrer 21 5,607 04-23-2016 09:59 AM
Last Post: Sn00zeAlarm