Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] unsure of which treatment to use
unsure of which treatment to use
I have been using a FFM due to me not being able to keep my mouth closed. Chinstraps are horribly uncomfortable, and I won't tape. FFM is cumbersome. So here's my dilemma. I have excellent oxygen levels and no events with the FFM, and my AHI is always under 1, sometimes even 0. However, I have a terrible time sleeping more than 4-5 hours, sometimes less with the FFM. So, I have been trying to train myself to keep my mouth closed and use a nasal wisp mask.
I used the nasal mask last night and my ResMed Auto-pap showed a smiley face, leak 31L, AHI 2.6, and my pulse ox showed 27 events, but I never went below 90, with an average O2 of 95.6. I'm trying to decide if sleeping with the wisp is harmful. I'm staying below 5 AHI, oxygen above 90, but quite a few events in terms of oxygen fluctuation. When I don't sleep well wearing the FFM(which gives me the best therapy), I don't feel good the whole day. Should I continue to train my mouth closed and wear the nasal mask that doesn't give me as good therapy(but acceptable)and feel better and sleep longer, or stick to the FFM and get my 4-5 hrs of sleep??????? Thanks for listening! Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: unsure of which treatment to use
There's more to this fun and games than just the AHI. How you feel is important, too.

On the one hand, if you are experiencing high, long leaks with the FFM, that AHI is not valid. You'll need to take a look at the data to see how long the leaks last and for how high they got.

On the other hand, that leak theory works with the nasal mask, too. The fact you feel better could simply mean you are able to sleep through the open mouth breathing but not the flapping mask.

On the third hand (I'm part alien), it is quite possible to train yourself to not open your mouth at night. It takes a long time though, not a single night. You can try some homemade chin straps versus the others, just to give it a go. I'm using the PAP Cap, which isn't perfect but works for me. I don't open my jaws, but air escapes from through my lips. The PAP Cap seems to have eliminated a lot of that. Totally different than the usual chin straps (cloth, for one).
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I used a chinstrap for a few months and then tried my wisp without the chinstrap and found that the few months that I used the chinstrap trained me to keep my mouth shut when I sleep. I no longer use the chinstrap and my leaks are good, AHI is really good. If you are able to handle the discomfort for a few months, you may be able to train yourself pretty quickly to keep your mouth closed when sleeping. YMMV
Post Reply Post Reply
ppowers,

What keeps you from sleeping more than 4-5 hours with the FFM?

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
im the opposite. I can now sleep with a nasal that was given to me and my AHI is less than one. But I dont really like it much. Chinstrap etc. And its a little small.

AHI is 2 to 4 with the Fitlife total face that I was prescribed but it is much more comfortable to sleep with. Neither leaks much at all so im not sure why there is a difference, though the pressure tends to run a shade higher with the Fit Life vs the nasal mask.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 62 03-27-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 216 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 126 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 284 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 202 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 53,072 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  New here, trying to optimize treatment sweetbobby 10 585 03-03-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: sweetbobby

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.