Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] what I have learned
Smile 
what I have learned
I have been on CPAP for over 18 months and I have come to realize this experience is an ongoing work in progress. Learning about the treatment and disease is not a linear experience. I have been frustrated, angry, and determined. What I have learned may help others in adjusting to their treatment. I have 45+ years as a Critical Care nurse and I was overwhelmed by my sleep apnea problem and treatment. There was so much conflicting information given to me by the medical community. Then I realized the prescribed treatment is a generalization and I must tailor the treatment recommendations to fit ME. The medical community only knows what you are by test results and medical history, not who you are in your environment! Big difference that is very individualist by it's definition.

1. I have gone through 7 different types of masks and finally found two that work for me. I alternate between nasal pillows and the wisp depending on allergies.
2. I use Eucalyptus oil in my nose to open passages, it is quick, efficient, and cost friendly with no rebound effects of nasal sprays.
3. My AHI numbers were wild in the same week from 5 to 40! Found out I do best on my right side with a firm big pillow pushed up against my back to prevent sleeping on my back. My numbers are now 3-7!
4. I have adapted a sleep hygiene routine that works for me. I have realized I need a sleep routine to prepare me to fall asleep easier. I would fuss and fume for 90 minutes before falling asleep or I would just give up and sit in a chair fussing with "why me", not a good behavior. Now its a matter of minutes. Devon English lavender oil on my restless feet, a few minutes of deep breathing with the CPAP on, and a few happy positive thoughts to quiet my mind.
5. Considering the lack of support and knowledge I encountered from the medical field that treated my sleep apnea, I armed myself with as much information about sleep apnea and treatments since it was not provided by the professionals. I routinely do 10 minutes of throat and neck exercises daily. I found the best sleep research is out of Israel.
6. Dont give up, knowledge and support will empower you. This forum with all the help, experience, and support was my lagniappe.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: what I have learned
Thanks for the post. Your experience in taking charge of your therapy can be helpful to others.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
As a newbie with problems, it is encouraging to read about how you tried many different things to make your therapy work for you. Thanks!
"Perseverance, secret of all triumphs."
Victor Hugo
Post Reply Post Reply
Excellent post, thank you. I do have a couple of questions. Do you use the Eucalyptus oil actually in your nose or just rub it on your lip below your nostrils. I have a lot of problems with constricted passages will try this. Also, do you have a link or reference for the throat and neck exercises that you do?

Cheers!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2016, 08:16 AM)calliopy2 Wrote: I found the best sleep research is out of Israel.

What is the best source for Israeli sleep science. Do you now if they have affiliation with the Jewish Hospital sleep sciences in the USA and United Kingdom Thinking-about

I would love to know more on the Data from Israel Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
I put the eucalyptus up my nose with a saturate piece of Kleenex similar to how they treat bloody noses. Then I breath in through my nose deeply 4 or 5 times, take out the Kleenex and put on my nasal mask. I know it sounds strange, but it works great for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
http://www.pubfacts.com/author/Yaron+Dagan is the research sleep site from Israel site with many research papers, muddle through to what you need. There are secondary threads. Also check the bibliography at the end of the research paper. It is a great tool for more info. Good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
http://www.sleep-apnea-guide.com/tongue-...apnea.html
http://www.treehugger.com/health/6-simpl...oring.html are the tongue exercise that I use. I do just 3 of them. Neck exercise are from my nursing days. Good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I use eucalyptus oil on a folded Kleenex in front of the air intake, works great.

CPAP is just a way to prove that most people are not "default" in anything. Glad you found "your" settings!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What I've learned (tips for a new user) chrisiscitrus 1 853 11-11-2020, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  How to qualify for medicare- what I have learned eajeff 14 2,145 02-24-2020, 03:04 PM
Last Post: eajeff
  What is learned in a 'nap study"? oldfart59 11 2,267 02-05-2018, 08:05 PM
Last Post: oldfart59
  Just learned I have sleep apnea, waiting to hear full results of sleep study SleeplessInOklahoma 18 4,689 09-06-2016, 04:41 PM
Last Post: livingwithapnea
  What I learned today about mini-apneas and fatigue or why SH is the bomb Mark Douglas 44 13,404 07-02-2016, 07:28 AM
Last Post: silverny1
  Be careful I purchased use Resmed 8- learned a lesson puglady 22 4,526 05-01-2016, 04:38 PM
Last Post: shewhorn
  60 Days -Lesson Learned 0rangebear 12 4,268 03-19-2016, 12:11 PM
Last Post: 0rangebear

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.