Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trial FFMs?
Trial FFMs?
I've given up on FitLife and it sounds like the DME's "30 day trials" don't mean you can keep trying more masks once they think you've tried enough. I seem to be stuck with this one, even though it's causing very sore teeth and still leaking because it's loose. Nothing has really worked for me and I'm interested in trying more FFMs with modification... We thought I couldn't use any conventional FFMs because my nose gets deep dents with any loose gentle pressure on it overnight, but I think that with moleskin or fleece I may be able to handle it.

I'm very small so would need S to XS masks. The only conventional one I've trialed has been F10 which I gave up on quickly because of the nose sore, but I only tried gauze and band aids to alleviate that. I thought there would be a mask I could use out of the box but apparently there isn't, and liners have not helped any of them.

The only mask I have other than this one is Amara view which also doesn't stay sealed all night and which eventually takes skin off my nasal area and hurts my cheekbones if it's tight enough. I guess I'm going to go back to attempting to use this, or maybe take months off of therapy if I can't get this resolved. In June I should be able to have another mask covered by insurance... I can't swing $80 or much more to buy any outright, especially since I know it's likely not to work.

The FitLife is a size S and has less than 7 days of use on it, all but one with a liner so very little skin contact. It's almost a great solution! If it fit below my chin instead of against my teeth I think it would be great.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Swap or lend/trial FFMs?
Why not use nasal pillows and a chin strap?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Nasal pillows made it hard for me to breathe, even though I'm a nose breather, and I found them noisy. I also need to use a ton of tape on my mouth because it's never been my whole mouth that opens, just a flutter of my lip despite the tongue trick. Air accumulates in my mouth and escapes, waking me up. Chin straps give me a jaw ache and no help with this issue. I got nasal irritation that felt like it would cause a sore as we'll.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried the Nuance? It does not go up into the nostril so isn't as constraining, if that makes sense. And the best chin strap for lip leaks is the PAP cap. I used it. But I got tired of all the equipment and just went to a full face mask. I use the Simplus. I have a small nose and that's where all the leaks are. But the Simplus sits low on the face.

Another to consider is the FlexiFit. It fits down over the chin and does not contact the lower teeth.

But, really, no FFM should be contacting your lower teeth except where it curves up. And it does not have to be tight. If you have to wear it so tight that it is hurting your teeth? It is not the right mask for you or the wrong size.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(Putting on moderator hat)

CPAP masks are a prescription item in the US. We do not allow the offer or request of individual sale, trade, or giveaway of masks.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, it was recommended that I try this angle. Oh well.

I've tried at least 10 masks and all have been loose enough to nearly leak continuously. With my current mask I believe it's the weight that hurts my teeth as the lower part has several fingers worth of wiggle room. A lot of masks sit in that spot between your lower lip and chin... Behind that is the roots of my bottom teeth which is where my ache is. I honestly don't think any masks will fit me "properly" so it seems I have to try the next best thing... Which is probably going to be augmented. The RTs at the DME have all but given up on me being able to find something that works, after 7 months of work.

I haven't tried the nuance, but I abandoned the idea of nasal interfaces when I realized that when they shift my breathing is obstructed. That plus the tape issue, which doesn't really bother me but which takes me a while to set up each night. I drool enough to dislodge the tape unless there is a ton of it. I don't think a chin strap is going to help with air ballooning in my cheeks and then leaking out of my lip. My TMJ really doesn't love having a chin strap anyway.

The FlexFit is one I want to try, but no way can I pay for it without insurance helping... Nor do I want to go without therapy for 5 more months.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Trial FFMs?
I've changed the title of this thread to avoid the appearance of offering prescription items for trade.

Thanks.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Lip taping is a dangerous practice.

The PAPCap is designed to help stop lip leaking either just fluttering or where the mouth fills with air. It worked well for me and for others for this purpose. It is all cloth and sits differently than other chin straps.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-Pur-Sleep

Lip leaking is quite common. There is also a tongue trick you can teach yourself, but I can never explain how to do it. Hopefully someone else will be able to explain it for you.

The Nuance, since it does not go into the nostrils, doesn't block air or get blocked like other nasal pillows.

There's also the oral mask. One name is the Oracle.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Tongue Trick:
Place tongue to roof of mouth with tip of tongue right behind front teeth. Then gently suck upwards, this helps the tongue fall into a natural place and create a seal at back of throat so that no air will escape if your mouth/jaw drops open.

This technique takes practice and commitment like anything else. Some can master it quickly and some not. In time, it becomes natural.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mask liners are available that might cushion a FFM that is causing discomfort, cutting into your nose or cheeks. The are fitted, and might work better than band-aids or gauze. Nasal pillows are very light unobtrusive, and the Airfit P10 (for her) has a very quiet air diffuser making venting almost unnoticeable. If you can get past the exhalation pressure problem, it could be a good solution for you. Many of us have used this one successfully. It would sure beat having your face mutilated by a FFM.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  APAP Trial - First Night's Results - Interpretation? Juicy 9 4,178 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  CPAP trial - Improvements but exhausted still prairiesleeper 7 518 10-02-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  CPAP DreamStation CPAP Pro con Auto-Trial AirSense 10 AutoSet cybor 0 582 09-09-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: cybor
  [CPAP] Machine trial with Kaiser KKoelle 5 692 08-08-2023, 11:52 AM
Last Post: KKoelle
  New to CPAP - on week 4 of 6 week trial - Any Sefam S.Box users out there? Kingsway 14 1,717 07-26-2023, 02:59 PM
Last Post: dbcpap
  Trial Ending - a few questions jcw1407 1 410 05-30-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Sleep Study results, 1 month trial APAP - OSCAR breakdown pilothaz 9 1,021 04-08-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: pilothaz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.