Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trial of Respironics Dreamstation Go in Melbourne, Australia?
Trial of Respironics Dreamstation Go in Melbourne, Australia?
Based on what I have read online, I was thinking of purchasing on of these machines for a forthcoming overseas trip.  However, when I looked at one of these in a CPAP shop, it seemed to be excessively noisy. This could be a showstopper if it is likely to keep my wife awake at night.  The Australian prices are close to $2000(AU) which is a lot of money to waste if it doesn't work out.  So I would like to try this out at home for a few nights before making a decision.

Unfortunately I was told at the shop that while Resmed allows returns within 2 weeks, Phillips Respironics does not. If you pay for the machine and it turns out not to meet your requirements, you have spent $2000 for something you cannot use!! I cannot afford to waste this amount of money.

So I though of trying to hire ones of these for a test run but cannot find anywhere in Melbourne that offers this. A number of places allow hiring of machines, but they do not include travel devices.  So I was wondering if any of Australian members know of a retailer that offers this, or even allows a one night test run at home before purchase?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Trial of Respironics Dreamstation Go in Melbourne, Australia?
Just take your full size machine with you it's quieter and you can use humidification
Post Reply Post Reply
Your CPAP machine travels free. Why would you get a noisier machine with fewer features, unless weight is absolutely critical as in backpacking? Yes they make more noise and lack humidification. If you want a machine that travels better, upgrade your S9 to an Airsense 10 Autoset, or pick one up in your destination country for a bargain. Supplier #2 or 33 will sell you a new machine and ship it at much lower cost with full warranty. The 10 series comes with a really nice travel case that fits with your carry-on luggage and does not count against the carry-on limits.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with jas and SR: get an Air10 Autoset instead of a noisy travel machine. You'll love the Air10: similar to the S9 but better in several ways. If you don't have to conserve every gram and every cubic centimeter in your luggage, the travel machine isn't worth it. It's more expensive and less featureful.

Also see this recent thread, which is on a similar topic except that the OP there will be going backpacking with whatever machine he eventually chooses:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...scend-Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
I take the points made about not getting a special travel machine.  I should have been clearer about why I wanted one.  I have a physical disability which makes it difficult to have heavy carry on luggage when I travel by plane.  But I think I will nonetheless stick with my S9 - the weight difference is not big enough to justify putting up with a nosier machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW, the Air10 would save you 0.25 kg compared to the S9+H5i combination, not counting the power brick or anything else in the package: 1.25 kg compared to 1.5 kg.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2019, 04:59 PM)Fats Drywaller Wrote: FWIW, the Air10 would save you 0.25 kg compared to the S9+H5i combination, not counting the power brick or anything else in the package: 1.25 kg compared to 1.5 kg.

Not of mush concern to m as I rarely use the humidifier.  I have tried for a few extended periods but never found it to make much difference.  So I never included it in my travels.  For me the A10 would greatly increase the weight I have to carry around!
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, about the weight I should have said "... would only save you 0.25 kg".

The A10 with humidifier tank weighs 413 grams more than the S9 alone. The tank can be removed and replaced with a side cover, but probably the cover weighs as much as the empty tank.

I'm casually interested to hear that you don't use CPAP humidification in Oz. I've got out of the habit of using it, even in the winter, but I'm in a somewhat more humid region in the USA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2019, 05:42 PM)Fats Drywaller Wrote: I'm casually interested to hear that you don't use CPAP humidification in Oz.  I've got out of the habit of using it, even in the winter, but I'm in a somewhat more humid region in the USA.

I have sometimes used in during cold spells in the winter, but even then the difference was marginal!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi  eIliotg

I'm in the Latrobe Valley 2 hours drive from you in Melbourne.

My sleep doctor here referred me to almost a dozen suppliers but they would only hire Fisher & Paykel Icon+ or the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset. No other models, or any Philips or DeVilBiss, or any other brand at all, and no travel machines of any sort (I go camping a lot). Perhaps all suppliers in Australia follow the same limited practice?

As the others have said, I'd stick with your S9 if it's still working well for you, even though it's quite an old model now. If you want to spend $$$ sometime I'd upgrade to the Airsense 10 Autoset and keep the S9 as your travel machine or backup.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,057 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  APAP Trial - First Night's Results - Interpretation? Juicy 9 4,178 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 230 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia. scottie199 103 32,533 02-22-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DB10
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 783 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  REBATE on your Electricity bill [Australia] libster 0 173 02-05-2024, 07:27 PM
Last Post: libster
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 673 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.