Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] weight gain and swelling
weight gain and swelling
I started using my CPAP machine a little over a month ago and I've gained 12 pounds, my hands, feet and ankles have started swelling. I am grateful for the benefits of using my CPAP machine but the side affects are very uncomfortable. I took over the counter water pills to try and reduce the swelling, but they didn't work. I'm going to try treadmill my friend just gave me, hopefully that will help to reverse what's going on. Any other things that I can add?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: weight gain and swelling
Hi doll, welcome to apnea board!
A 12 pound gain in only one month doesn't sound quite right to me.

Some have reported weight gains with Cpap use, but over a much longer period of time, as well as those who lose weight with Cpap use.

Do you have other health issues, heart problems, etc?
It probably would be a good idea to call your doctor and make sure everything else looks ok.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Opel, I have HTN and asthma. I will check with my doctor. I have not changed my eating habits either. I drink a lot of water, but I have always done that. I'm assuming most of the weight gain is water weight since my hands and feet have swollen.

thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi doll,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might mention this to your doc to see what they say about the problem you are having.
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not think it is due to cpap. Sounds like some other medical problem to me.
For free Medicare assistance for your state check out this page. http://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/dire...onal/SHIP/
or here http://www.medicareinteractive.org/
Post Reply Post Reply
You should see your doctor right away. Oedema is not something to be messed with and it's presence can indicate serious problems.

You have available to you an extraordinarily sensitive measuring instrument to tell you how much to drink, called "thirst". Drink when you are thirsty and drink enough to slake your thirst, not more. There are several million years of evolution behind this, and rules of thumb like "you should drink x glasses of water each day" are mostly nonsense.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
12 pounds is 12 pints of water. See a doctor -- get a cardiologist to work you up.
I am not a doctor -- that said, water weight gain with edema may indicate CHF.
The heart can compensate via the Frank–Starling law -- up to a point.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank%E2%8...arling_law
There's a tipping point.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 157 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 277 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Can high loop gain be changed? NoddingHacker 2 392 01-05-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Eye swelling Luvbug 1 336 12-15-2023, 09:05 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Sleep aids or weight gain AlexS3 22 1,317 11-28-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: AlexS3
  Weight Loss and Side Sleeping Therapy - AHI < 0.5 AquaMan 3 698 09-17-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Major weight loss, still need CPAP? bperella 3 559 09-01-2023, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Old Mike

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.