Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Respironics System One Auto On/Off
RE: Respironics System One Auto On/Off
I have the "auto on" feature enabled. It seems to take at least a couple of breaths to turn it on. I do not have the "auto off" feature enabled. I agree with the previous post about it not being of much benefit. I would rather turn the machine off myself, and if the mask or hose develops a "large leak", be awakened by the sound of rushing air.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2014, 04:11 PM)Ike Wrote: Good point! I shall peruse Philips' support to verify if I actually have the latest firmware.
It seems only authorized companies can do the firmware update. I think Philips had to agree to that as it's a medical device and messing up the code could make them liable. I read somewhere that there are companies that charge $65+shipping to do a firmware update.

It would be great though if Philips would post the update fixes so people would know if it was worth investing another $100 for that fix or feature. If you come across a link to this info, please let us know.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Wakeup Time. My initial research supports what you have said but if I do find a work-around I shall post it in this thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2014, 11:57 PM)Ike Wrote: Thanks Wakeup Time. My initial research supports what you have said but if I do find a work-around I shall post it in this thread.

Instead of paying companies $100 or more for the update, I would much rather do it myself -- as the additional hardware items are probably only about $100-150 perhaps. For PRS1's, we need the external module -- it's like the cell attachment but has the pin-outs for the special cable; then the cable of course and I think there's the app that needed to process the update(?). We could then recycle it to the next ApneaBoard person. The challenge is getting ahold of the firmware files.

On the other hand, maybe they don't do updates that often anymore. Isn't it about once every 12-18 months now? The biggest benefit would be those who are really behind in their firmware -- for example, jumping from Series 50 firmware to Series 60 firmware. For them, it's well worth the $65+shipping for the new features (humidifier warming, silent mode, etc.). Another disadvantage might be the chance of "bricking" their machine. There won't be much sympathy from PR or a PR DME for someone who does that. I'd imagine that their firmware update app does a good job of preventing that however.

Many people don't have insurance (like me) and can't get a free machine replacement every 2-3 years. It's not so bad at the moment, but if PR were to suddenly announce a major new software feature, or do a major update on its pressure response algorithms, I'd really start salivating for an update.

The staff of all DMEs have online access to all those special files. Maybe one of them might post them either here or at a 3rd party site to really get people going.

I'm really surprised, after all these years, that someone isn't actively talking about it and promoting it. I suppose, for most, it's easiest just to pay the $65+shipping and let someone else handle it (with a guarantee).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,964 359,307 2 hours ago
Last Post: btreger
  Resmed Heating System Errors btreger 0 114 04-05-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Inspire system JThammer 15 383 04-04-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,850 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Airsense 11. Heating system error Jskier 6 7,027 03-30-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Ron LI
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,892 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 476 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.