Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Are these leaks acceptable?
Are these leaks acceptable?
This graph can be considered characteristic about the numbers in general and about the leaks.
My question is: can I consider myself satisfied with these levels of leakage and stop pursuing the "zero leak"?
Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Are these leaks acceptable?
Resmed machines don't like a leak above 24 L/min, and yours goes over that a couple of times (typically when your pressure is high). Although the machine can cope with leaks smaller than 24, my personal preference is to have them as low as possible, even though it's near impossible to get a zero all night long. Leaks can disturb your sleep by blowing in your eyes or making "face fart" noises or similar disturbances. They can also disturb your partner. Are you experiencing any disturbances of this nature?

If I was in your position I'd try to determine the source of the leaks and eliminate them. Because your leak is fairly high throughout, I suspect it may be that the mask doesn't suit your facial structure or else it's not correctly adjusted. Try getting the adjustment sorted and perhaps try a mask liner. If that fails, consider a different type of mask.

As an aside, your machine is bumping up against the maximum pressure. Normally I'd advise you to raise the max by a few points but because your AHI is well under control, and because of the leak problem, you should probably leave it where it is.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you DeepBreathing for your attention.
I´m using this equipment, Resmed Airsense s10 Autoset/Airfit F10, since Oct 14. Before that I used for 6 years a Respironics M Series equipment that did not give me access to the therapy monitoring by software, hence my difficulty in interpreting the Sleepyhead graphics, which are, for me, completely new.
In the chart I posted, for example, in Leak Rate, I see the leak when I first turn on the machine is already at about 13 l / min when it should be 0. Is that correct?
The problem is that while I'm awake I do not see no leakage, unless the exhaustion of the mask itself.
I'm already using a Padacheek liner to reduce skin irritation by direct contact with the mask´s silicone, but, in my case, I think the liner increases the leaks.
I tryed the Respironics ConforFull2 FFM mask, ConforGel NM, and Resmed Mirage Liberty hybrid mask, but they all have worse leaks. What to do?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Armando,

How is your sleep? Do you feel tired, refreshed, or kind of in between?

As an fyi, I have had a similar type experience with using liners as you. So it might be worth trying to sleep without them with this mask, particularly if the other masks you have tried have resulted in worse leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2015, 08:41 AM)armando.ntg Wrote: This graph can be considered characteristic about the numbers in general and about the leaks.
My question is: can I consider myself satisfied with these levels of leakage and stop pursuing the "zero leak"?
Thank you.

Sometimes the zero leak just can't be eliminated. Men with beards have this problem. My suggestion is to raise your current maximum of 12 to 12.6 or 12.8 and just let the machine work with the leaks. I noticed when I have leaks, the machine compensates for the leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
The mask liner is likely a source of your leaks. It may diffuse the leaks so they are not physically bothersome but the liner is a porous material and is likely to allow leaks of some sort. The advantage for the mask liner is if the leaks it allows are minor and it diffuses them enough so that they do not bother you then you might have a workable situation. I would try your mask without the liner for a night to see if your skin still needs it. If you can do without the liner then ride that horse for a while and see what happens to your leaks. If your skin still needs the liner then use the liner and your current leak rate will have to be livable.

Another possibility might be an alternative to the mask liner. You might try the pure lanolin ointment that some use with nasal pillows masks to keep their nostrils from getting sore and irritated. I would try putting it on my skin in the areas that the mask irritates just before donning the mask.

Just some thoughts.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2015, 08:41 AM)armando.ntg Wrote: This graph can be considered characteristic about the numbers in general and about the leaks.
Thank you.
The aim is to get decent sleep so you can function reasonably well during the day, not zero leak
You might get zero leak at some periods during the but not all night long. Leaks in the first session seem quite reasonable even during higher pressure, some large leak shows in the second session, might be the cushion get a bit sweaty, mask wipes are handy to give the cushion quick wipe or if using mask liner, the liner get creased or moved out of place
The thing is, as soon as start treatment, leak start at 12 and does not fall below that, make me wonder if the mask is the right size or fitted correctly. Have you tried a different full face mask, or nasal mask?

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank all of you for trying to help me.
I´ll try to sleep some nights without the liner to see if the leaks get better.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 443 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,907 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 354 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 141 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
Question Tidal Volume Acceptable Range trance 12 3,597 03-02-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 560 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 904 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.