Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tripping Circuit Breaker/ Airsense Autoset 10
Tripping Circuit Breaker/ Airsense Autoset 10
My Airsense Autoset 10 has tripped the circuit breaker in our house three times in the past couple of weeks.

Anyone have a similar problem or have any insight?  

We have a 1907 house: can't run the toaster & Espresso machine at same time....  Guessing I need to unplug a few things?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tripping Circuit Breaker/ Airsense Autoset 10
A cpap doesnt really use much power, but still.. if you're trying to cut back, then turning off the humidifier and heated hose would do it.
When you say "the circuit breaker in our house" , do you mean one branch circuit and not the main breaker right ?
Is the breaker very hot to touch when you go to reset it ?
Could there be too many things on that one branch circuit (connected to the breaker that tripped) ?
Its also possible, but less likely, that a connection somewhere is arcing ? Or some device is malfunctioning ? If so, this could be dangerous.
Turn off that single breaker and observe what is no longer working. Maybe some things can be moved to other receptacles ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Since you have circuit breakers instead of fuses there would need to have been at least some upgrades done, but even then up to 60 years ago.

What's the amperage of the circuit breaker that's tripping? If it's more that the amps of the stuff you're running it's not an overload, it's a short.

I would recommend you get an electrician to look at that as you could be inviting catastrophe.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since an AS10 isn't a power hog, I would suspect the circuit or the receptacle. What else looses power when this breaker trips? Try plugging only a lamp in and see if it trips the circuit.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
IIWY I'd get a professional in there before you end up frying your machine and burning your house down.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cause if that's 1907 wiring and you don't have a ground system you could be getting power surges to trip the breaker.

If you don't KNOW what you got then find somebody who can find out.
Post Reply Post Reply
A circuit breaker can take a lot of forms. If your main panel is "PushMatic", change it now.
Also:
Zinsco (GTE-Sylvania)
Federal Pacific Electric (FPE)
Challenger (Eaton/Cutler Hammer)
https://pennaelectric.com/electrician-bl...al-panels/

In my experience many circuit breaker trips are due to a loose wire in the outlet box making contact with a ground or common. Remove and replace the receptacle and inspect all wiring.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a house that was built in the mid 1800's. There was a mix of old knob and tube wiring, steel sheathed BX cable, and some newer conventional Romex cable. I've upgraded much of the wiring to get rid of the knob and tube as it couldn't provide a ground. The remainder is now BX and Romex cable. About a year ago I had an issue of a refrigerator circuit tripping off a breaker occasionally for no good reason (refrig came no where close to the breaker rating). The circuit finally opened completely and the outlet was dead. My findings were a much corroded BX cable that ran under the kitchen crawl space. The fabric insulation on the copper wires had absorbed moisture and every once in a while would heat up, short, and trip the breaker. I replaced it with a newer type of BX that has a corrosion resistant aluminum sheath and plastic insulated wires that could withstand a moist environment. The era of your house might have BX type cable and if has been exposed to moisture it's possible it could be the cause of intermittent breaker trips. It's something that should be addressed soon as it could be potential fire hazard.
Other similar possibilities might be Romex that a rodent may have chewed through the insulation exposing the bare copper wire.

Breakers do sometimes get weak and trip at lower ratings. This would be the easy, cheaper fix.

Is your circuit breaker of a GFCI type that protects for ground faults and does your Airsense CPAP have a power adapter with a 3 prong plug (hot/neutral/ground)? If GFCI breakers and a 3 prong plug, it's possibly the CPAP power adapter may have developed some sort of issue that creates a ground internally and trips the breaker.

Do you know what else might be on the same circuit as the CPAP that may draw a significant amount of current? Old houses aren't known for having many branch circuits and there might be a good number of outlets on a single breaker.

I did rewire my kitchen so I could run more that one appliance at a time Big Grin

My problem BX cable pictured below (crawl spaces at 73 years old are not fun work)....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You have so much good advice here.

I've taken to using a surge suppressor when I use my cpap. I'm worried about my machine's health too. I have an S10 autsense for her. It has a humidifier and a heated hose. I bought the end plate for it so I could use it without the humidifier when I travel. Just mentioning incase you need to do the same thing....
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 343 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 105 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 837 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 167 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 213 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
  Dreamstation II -> AirSense 11 AutoSet todivefor 10 650 02-23-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: drwoodr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.