Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trouble Falling Asleep With CPAP Machine On
Trouble Falling Asleep With CPAP Machine On
Hi, new to this forum and CPAP, so apologies if a similar thread already exists here.

I am new to CPAP, and am having trouble falling asleep at night wearing my mask.  I've adjusted the pressure to try and start low to build up to my prescribed pressure over time.  I have practiced wearing the mask during the day/evening, to try and get comfortable with the breathing, and I feel like I'm to the point now where that's not too big of an issue.  I've also tried taking melatonin here and there to help make me drowsy.  However, no matter how tired I feel, I can't seem to get my mind to relax enough that I'm able to drift off to sleep while wearing my mask.

Has anyone else experienced the same issues, and how did you get through it?  Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Trouble Falling Asleep With CPAP Machine On
Hi rtsteffen! - Welcome
Based on your post, it seems that you are experiencing some form of apprehension using your CPAP. You have taken the basic steps we usually recommend, but your body don't seem to want to allow something to be strapped to your face while you sleep. I would suggest discussing this with your doctor. Hopefully, he/she can provide some type of short term "chill-pill" to overcome this resistance. For your knowledge, everyone has a different adjustment timespan. Some take to CPAP immediately, while others can take much longer. I'm one of the ones that it took forever to adapt. It did help implanting in my mind that I will not give up.

Good luck!
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Although I had no problems or issues from night #1 when I started, I can appreciate what you are saying. As long as your mask fits okay and it's not a problem, I'd say just give it some time for you to adapt. 

As we all know, it's NOT at all normal to wear a mask while we sleep. My SIL had issues with falling asleep when she first started CPAP therapy. I told her the same thing......give it time. 

She did and she's now dong fine with it.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried reading a book with the mask on when you first go to bed?

Not being a big book reader these days I played solitaire and other games on my phone when first going to bed, this worked for distracting my mind just before going to sleep.. it was a simple activity that occupied my brain without being overly stimulating.
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
I listen to audiobooks, it distracts me from everything related to cpap therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
You're wearing a full face mask. How does that work for you?

I'm claustrophobic. I haven't found a full face mask that gives me *no leaks* and that I can keep on my face. There's a new F&P full face mask that I am interested in, but haven't found in Canada that I can try without buying.... My DME supplier will loan, but don't have the mask.

So what I meant to say, maybe there is a mask style or design that would be better for you.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
This may sound silly, but I kind of lean into the sensation by imagining I am scuba diving in a ... tropical sea, alien planet, kelp bed, whatever calls to you. Kinda weird, but it makes the mask "normal," and I stop worrying about this thing on my face.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was lucky enough to take to it from day one, but I did tear my mask off in my sleep a few times in the first month.

It didnt take long until it became like this elixir of life thing. I dunno if this feeling will go away someday (its only been 3 years), but I find it brings me a peaceful feeling knowing that Im going to wake up rested (vs the train-wreck that I was before cpap).
Post Reply Post Reply
Were you ever able to fall asleep with it? I can only do it (sometimes, for a few hours) if I am drugged so I am moving on to explore dental or surgical options.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree with Crimson Nape and Rainbow Fish.

I personally believe that new users need to tell their mind that this new thing is good for them. Your mind is likely saying that this new thing is an alien. Instruct your mind that the gear is your friend, that it will improve your overall health, etc. If you tell yourself that mantra, daily without fail, it may help. It helped me, and I am not the only one.

Time, patience and perseverance. Yes it may sound cliche, but it works.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 7 117 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 84 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 298 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 620 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 264 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 201 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.