Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trouble getting back to sleep, machine ramping up to quickly
Trouble getting back to sleep, machine ramping up to quickly
Using a DreamMachine. Pressure ranges from 4 to 8.5. Therapy mode is Auto. Smart ramp is On (so Ramp is locked in Patient mode). Ramp Time is set to 0:45. FLEX type is A-Flex. Flex number is 3. 

Thankfully, I have no problems getting to sleep at night. If I wake up at night (to use restroom, etc), I find it difficult to get back to sleep because the pressure ramps up too quickly. I end up hitting the ramp triangle multiple times to get the machine back down to 4 - which just delays me falling back to sleep. 

Any ideas on some setting I should try changing?

It’s too bad that the minimum pressure is 4. Otherwise, I’d go lower. 

Thanks I’m advance for your thoughts.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Trouble getting back to sleep, machine ramping up to quickly
Try going to the Setup Manuals link at the top of the page to learn how you can access all your settings. That way, you can set the ramp to function however you want it to.

I'm surprised you like 4; for most people, it is too low and leaves them feeling air-starved. But as with so many things, your own experience is the best guide for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please attach your Standard Daily charts so we can see what is going on.

My initial guess, assumption is that your pressure settings (min and Max) may be set too low.
We very often find DreamStation users with insufficient min pressure, for 99.99% of users, 4 is too low
Post Reply Post Reply
I may try to change the ramp time to zero.
Post Reply Post Reply
I made some changes to my settings. Minimum pressure is now 7.5. Maximum pressure is 9.5.  I've attached some screen shots of the OSCAR data. I'm still having trouble getting back to sleep with the CPAP after waking up. Any suggestions for further changes to my settings that might prevent this? Thank you for your guidance.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
The night you were at a minimum of 8, you had reduced flow limitations, but you still had a fair number of hypopneas. They might or might not respond to a higher minimum, if you cared to try it. You could also experiment with C-flex, though I'd recommend just one experiment at a time.

But I'm doubtful whether any of these further adjustments will ease your difficulty getting back to sleep after you wake up. One piece of advice that sleep experts give is to get up if you can't get back to sleep within 20 minutes. Do something relaxing that doesn't involve screens or bright lights, e.g., read a (paper) book or listen to music. When you get sleepy, go back to bed.

I myself would find that advice hard to take, but you might want to give it a try.

Oh, and you might try restricting fluids for three hours before bedtime, to lower the odds you'll have to get up to go to the bathroom.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the thoughts. So, I’m guessing you just increase the maximum as you increase the minimum? Also, any advice on when to try the C-flex approach instead of continued increased minimums?

In terms of falling back asleep, I have no trouble doing it without the CPAP. I just can’t do it with the CPAP. But if I go back to sleep without the CPAP, then the apneas kick in, along with everything that goes with that. Maybe I’d be better off not trying to go back to sleep after achieving some threshold of CPAP sleep…
Post Reply Post Reply
You aren’t hitting your max except for the probes. But it’s fine to increase it; the machine won’t use the additional headroom unless you need it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2022, 09:08 PM)sleeplessintheswamp Wrote: I made some changes to my settings. Minimum pressure is now 7.5. Maximum pressure is 9.5.  I've attached some screen shots of the OSCAR data. I'm still having trouble getting back to sleep with the CPAP after waking up. Any suggestions for further changes to my settings that might prevent this? Thank you for your guidance.

It can take your body a few days (or longer) to get out of the waking up habit.

Never make multiple setting changes all at the one time, do them one at a time with gaps in between, you need to allow a few days to see what each change does for you - benefit or detrimental for your treatment.

CPAP is a slow race for the win.  
Sleep-on-pillow
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,375 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 46 2,145 04-12-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 172 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Glad to Have a Back-up, RM 11 Sent Back for Repair somewherein413 4 151 04-04-2024, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Back to CPAP for UARS, help interpreting graphs dcg494 2 203 04-02-2024, 08:58 AM
Last Post: dcg494
  Xyrem - is machine disturbing my sleep? DebJ 9 272 04-02-2024, 08:27 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 153 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.