Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trouble keeping my mouth closed
Trouble keeping my mouth closed
I am on an apap with a philips nasal mask.
When I check my reports, I open the mouth often during the night. Pressure increases, but events also increase, and I get a dry throat and wife complains that it's noisy when I leak through the mouth. Plus it wakes me up I think, then I close the mouth, then I open mouth again, wake up, etc.....
Plus that air leak on top of the head with the philips mask makes air noise against the pillow and bed.

Dr says that I'll just get used to the nasal mask and to not bother.

I wonder why I'm going through all this when I could simply buy an amara view mask and get rid of the issue? Dr says that it's uncomfortable, leaks more, etc.

According to me, it "looks" worse, but I already look like someone with a cpap anyway, at that point.

Opinions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Trouble keeping my mouth closed
Other options are to use a chin strap, or soft cervical collar that applies gentle pressure on the back of the jaw. Both work, but the collar works better. If leaks continue with these aids, then a full face mask may be your best bet. Some users have tried taping their lips together or glue and all kinds of stuff that I don't think is worthwhile. Your doctor is on the right track, but slight pressure on the jaw to keep your mouth closed can go a long way towards success.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
A full face mask is the simple and obvious answer. I really don't know why people persevere with pillows and nasal masks then have to resort to all sorts of tongue-tricks, taping lips, chin straps, cervical collars etc etc to avoid mouth leaks.

Like all mask types, you will need to experiment to find the FFM that is right for you, then never worry about mouth leaks again. Some popular FFMs to try: F&P Simplus, Amara View, Resmed F20.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Kryogen,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
FFM's are a last resort. Lot's of people have worse leaks with a full face mask than mouth leaks. I use a Collar and it works well. I have a Amara View a AirFit and AirTouch F20. All full face masks I have trouble with getting leaks. Oh I can tighten them down if I want to wake up with semi permanent ruts in my face. I think it's better to wear a collar.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Every reply above is correct. It does go to show how individual and important a mask and its fit is

I always suggest that masks be tried from least intrusive (pillows) to nasal masks to most intrusive (full face masks)

Read the mask primer
Post Reply Post Reply
Everyone is different. I tried nasal pillows and  Icould not keep my mouth shut no matter what I tried. Ultimately you use what works for you. Unfortunately you might have to try many masks to find the right one. Buy from a supplier that has a 30 trial period.

car54
Post Reply Post Reply
Not trying to hijack this thread but what is considered an 'acceptable' leak rate?  I went in and got a nasal pillow this week (was on FFM) and I believe the DME said under 24 was ok for a leak rate but from Sleepy Head data it says the Med last night was 7.2 and 95% was 21.6 and Max was 39.6 and I should get it fixed. 

Funny thing is, I've used the pillows twice now and I've had the best sleep with the nasal pillow (and chin strap); my AHI went down a lot and my CA went down SIGNIFICANTLY, so I would say the pillows are a huge improvement.  With the FFM, besides having a higher AHI and CA, I would wake up several times to the sound of a large air leak from the cushion of the mask being bent over and flapping in the wind.
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like your leak rate is ok. The better question is did your leak rate interfere with your getting effective therapy?

Did your large leaks cover a significant portion of your night? Sounds like a no.
Were they clumped together or spread out? What was the shape of the leak graph?

If you post your daily charts we can frequently identify cause of the leak. Is It a mouth leak or a mask leak? Is it positional or not.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2017, 05:02 AM)Hojo Wrote: Not trying to hijack this thread but what is considered an 'acceptable' leak rate?  I went in and got a nasal pillow this week (was on FFM) and I believe the DME said under 24 was ok for a leak rate but from Sleepy Head data it says the Med last night was 7.2 and 95% was 21.6 and Max was 39.6 and I should get it fixed. 

Funny thing is, I've used the pillows twice now and  I've had the best sleep with the nasal pillow (and chin strap); my AHI went down a lot and my CA went down SIGNIFICANTLY, so I would say the pillows are a huge improvement.  With the FFM, besides having a higher AHI and CA, I would wake up several times to the sound of a large air leak from the cushion of the mask being bent over and flapping in the wind.

Any advise or opinion on the Sleepyhead summary should be disregarded as the opinion of the software author. Mark did a great service in putting together a consumer friendly software, but some of his summary information is flat wrong or based on generalized assumptions.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 358 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 309 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 201 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,862 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 795 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.