Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: unsure
Humidifier: unsure
CPAP Pressure: unsure
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Question Trouble swallowing
Has anybody developed swallowing difficulties after beginning CPAP treatment? I began using my Remstar Plus C-Flex about 5 years ago, and took to it instantly. In fact, I have not slept a single night without the machine since the day I began using. I was told I had severe OSA, and I believe my pressure setting is near maximum. I don't use the humidifier. I seemed to have developed a difficulty swallowing that occurs at the back of my throat that I don't remember having pre-CPAP. The sleep doctor said he hasn't heard of any problems, but somehow that does not re-assure me. My belief is that the air blowing through my nose into my throat has either deformed or de-sensitized my soft palate, dulling my swallowing reflex. I can still swallow, but it is more voluntary than involuntary, and I have to almost puree my food. Anybody out in CPAP land have similar situation?
03-10-2014 07:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

RE: Trouble swallowing
(03-10-2014 07:15 PM)Mancaveman Wrote:  I can still swallow, but it is more voluntary than involuntary, and I have to almost puree my food. Anybody out in CPAP land have similar situation?
Some people complaints of swallowing air which causes burping and farting but that is not what you,re describing
I don,t think its CPAP related, talk to your physician
03-10-2014 07:25 PM
comatose Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed s9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 9.8-12.6
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Now I am happy coz only some days I'm crappy, thanks to my c pappy :)

(03-10-2014 07:15 PM)Mancaveman Wrote:  Has anybody developed swallowing difficulties after beginning CPAP treatment? I began using my Remstar Plus C-Flex about 5 years ago, and took to it instantly. In fact, I have not slept a single night without the machine since the day I began using. I was told I had severe OSA, and I believe my pressure setting is near maximum. I don't use the humidifier. I seemed to have developed a difficulty swallowing that occurs at the back of my throat that I don't remember having pre-CPAP. The sleep doctor said he hasn't heard of any problems, but somehow that does not re-assure me. My belief is that the air blowing through my nose into my throat has either deformed or de-sensitized my soft palate, dulling my swallowing reflex. I can still swallow, but it is more voluntary than involuntary, and I have to almost puree my food. Anybody out in CPAP land have similar situation?

G/day Mancaveman, welcome to the forum.

I had a lot of trouble swallowing and found that my problem was due to an inflamed esophagus due to gastric reflux or GERD.

"If" you have gastric reflux I would advise you to see your doc and get it checked out, ensure that you get the stomach acid PH test that they don't normally do, otherwise they will likely put you on PPT's or antacids without realizing that your problem is actually caused by a high stomach PH. eg. actually not enough acid.

also...are you swallowing air and burping it back up, bringing gastric juices with it?
03-10-2014 07:37 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi Mancaveman,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I haven't had any problems with swallowing since CPAP and I haven't heard of CPAP therapy causing it. but hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you.

trish6hundred
03-10-2014 07:40 PM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

(03-10-2014 07:25 PM)zonk Wrote:  
(03-10-2014 07:15 PM)Mancaveman Wrote:  I can still swallow, but it is more voluntary than involuntary, and I have to almost puree my food. Anybody out in CPAP land have similar situation?
Some people complaints of swallowing air which causes burping and farting but that is not what you,re describing
I don,t think its CPAP related, talk to your physician

I agree. Time to have a "Cookie Test" done on you to see what happens when you swallow.

I do not think it is CPAP related. I've had both nose and throat surgery to help with my OSA - and one of my other 'issues' is a swallowing issue. Before my insurance ran out, I flunked the 'cookie test', and it turns out that the muscles that line your throat which are supposed to fire in sequence, in my case don't - plus, we all have sort of a one-way valve at the bottom, and mine is stuck partially closed. - That's when my insurance ran out - so I have no fix, just know what's wrong - I am defective - if I were a horse, I'd of been shot long ago...

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2014 11:39 AM by Peter_C.)
03-11-2014 11:38 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New User Having Trouble Staying Asleep and more SnoreGalore 7 428 11-09-2016 06:26 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
Question Difficulty swallowing and singing giftofsleep 6 401 09-29-2016 05:23 AM
Last Post: cate1898
  Having trouble with new mask rich2905 9 430 09-03-2016 03:44 AM
Last Post: rich2905
  Trouble with P10 mattmill 17 707 08-04-2016 08:30 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Swallowing air: does a FFM help in preventing it? Snurkel 2 314 07-23-2016 08:04 AM
Last Post: Snurkel
  Try adding aromatherapy to your treatment if you are new and having trouble nzbnate 17 843 07-20-2016 03:07 PM
Last Post: RedCoPete
  Trouble with resmed 10 but loved my 8 puglady 12 856 04-29-2016 09:32 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider