Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trouble swallowing
Question 
Trouble swallowing
Has anybody developed swallowing difficulties after beginning CPAP treatment? I began using my Remstar Plus C-Flex about 5 years ago, and took to it instantly. In fact, I have not slept a single night without the machine since the day I began using. I was told I had severe OSA, and I believe my pressure setting is near maximum. I don't use the humidifier. I seemed to have developed a difficulty swallowing that occurs at the back of my throat that I don't remember having pre-CPAP. The sleep doctor said he hasn't heard of any problems, but somehow that does not re-assure me. My belief is that the air blowing through my nose into my throat has either deformed or de-sensitized my soft palate, dulling my swallowing reflex. I can still swallow, but it is more voluntary than involuntary, and I have to almost puree my food. Anybody out in CPAP land have similar situation?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Trouble swallowing
(03-10-2014, 07:15 PM)Mancaveman Wrote: I can still swallow, but it is more voluntary than involuntary, and I have to almost puree my food. Anybody out in CPAP land have similar situation?
Some people complaints of swallowing air which causes burping and farting but that is not what you,re describing
I don,t think its CPAP related, talk to your physician

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2014, 07:15 PM)Mancaveman Wrote: Has anybody developed swallowing difficulties after beginning CPAP treatment? I began using my Remstar Plus C-Flex about 5 years ago, and took to it instantly. In fact, I have not slept a single night without the machine since the day I began using. I was told I had severe OSA, and I believe my pressure setting is near maximum. I don't use the humidifier. I seemed to have developed a difficulty swallowing that occurs at the back of my throat that I don't remember having pre-CPAP. The sleep doctor said he hasn't heard of any problems, but somehow that does not re-assure me. My belief is that the air blowing through my nose into my throat has either deformed or de-sensitized my soft palate, dulling my swallowing reflex. I can still swallow, but it is more voluntary than involuntary, and I have to almost puree my food. Anybody out in CPAP land have similar situation?

G/day Mancaveman, welcome to the forum.

I had a lot of trouble swallowing and found that my problem was due to an inflamed esophagus due to gastric reflux or GERD.

"If" you have gastric reflux I would advise you to see your doc and get it checked out, ensure that you get the stomach acid PH test that they don't normally do, otherwise they will likely put you on PPT's or antacids without realizing that your problem is actually caused by a high stomach PH. eg. actually not enough acid.

also...are you swallowing air and burping it back up, bringing gastric juices with it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Mancaveman,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I haven't had any problems with swallowing since CPAP and I haven't heard of CPAP therapy causing it. but hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2014, 07:25 PM)zonk Wrote:
(03-10-2014, 07:15 PM)Mancaveman Wrote: I can still swallow, but it is more voluntary than involuntary, and I have to almost puree my food. Anybody out in CPAP land have similar situation?
Some people complaints of swallowing air which causes burping and farting but that is not what you,re describing
I don,t think its CPAP related, talk to your physician

I agree. Time to have a "Cookie Test" done on you to see what happens when you swallow.

I do not think it is CPAP related. I've had both nose and throat surgery to help with my OSA - and one of my other 'issues' is a swallowing issue. Before my insurance ran out, I flunked the 'cookie test', and it turns out that the muscles that line your throat which are supposed to fire in sequence, in my case don't - plus, we all have sort of a one-way valve at the bottom, and mine is stuck partially closed. - That's when my insurance ran out - so I have no fix, just know what's wrong - I am defective - if I were a horse, I'd of been shot long ago...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 201 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,857 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 263 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 233 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 456 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Trouble with multiple masks jlpool 5 696 11-28-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Trouble getting Knightsbridge chinstrap slowe 9 876 11-27-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.