Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trouble with SD card and SleepyHead
RE: Trouble with SD card and SleepyHead
5.6 isn't bad. Give it all time to settle down. And that's just one night.

Leave it on 6 for a while longer. How long has it been there?

After a while (you want to collect data for at least two weeks, preferably much longer if you are brand new to this), if the AHI is still over 5, then you can turn the pressure up slightly, I suggest just half a step to 6.5. Wait another two weeks. If still not below 5, then up to 7. Rinse, repeat.

Yes, it will take a while, but that's okay. Be patient. Keep looking at the data and figure out what is your "normal" ranges.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

(03-16-2014, 09:38 PM)zonk Wrote:
(03-16-2014, 08:20 PM)Gabby Wrote: Fixed it! Sort of anyway.

What I did was, where it says do you want to go to 'The Usual' location to Import stats from, I went to 'New Location', and voila, it brought up my computer which had my SD card stored there and I hit on it and the next thing it downloaded my missing days. At the end I was asked if I wanted them to use this location next time and I replied 'yes'.
Yes, that what I did too

You should have a followup with the sleep doc (face to face)
Pain relief medication contain opiate can cause central apnea

I am seeing my Sleep Doctor on 10th May.

Although I take pain medications daily, I am unable to take opiates, so unfortunately have to rely on paracetamol and ibuprofen for my headaches.
Are Central Apneas bad?
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
(03-16-2014, 09:46 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: 5.6 isn't bad. Give it all time to settle down. And that's just one night.

Leave it on 6 for a while longer. How long has it been there?

After a while (you want to collect data for at least two weeks, preferably much longer if you are brand new to this), if the AHI is still over 5, then you can turn the pressure up slightly, I suggest just half a step to 6.5. Wait another two weeks. If still not below 5, then up to 7. Rinse, repeat.

Yes, it will take a while, but that's okay. Be patient. Keep looking at the data and figure out what is your "normal" ranges.

I must say this is the highest AHI I have had, they are mostly in the two's or lower.
The main reason for my question was, I just thought it was strange because I thought my leaks would have been higher but now I am finding out it may be because of my pressure. I thought leaks caused AHI'S.
Please excuse my ignorance.
I have been on 6 since 14th February and am due to see sleep Doctor on 10th May.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
(03-16-2014, 08:57 PM)retired_guy Wrote: ahi - events have more to do with pressure than leaks. Your leaks look fine, but what about the min/max pressures? As I recall you are exploring this on your own rather than having a sleep doc, so what are you using for your max right now? My thinking is it may need to be adjusted upwards a little at a time.

I have a fixed machine and I am on '6'. It was just one night and now I know leaks have nothing to do with the AHI there's not a lot I can do about it.
I go to see my sleep Doctor on 10th May, so I suppose if needed they will up it then.
Meanwhile I'll keep my fingers crossed its a one off.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Gabby,

The AHI can be influenced by both pressure and leaks.

Pressure: If the pressure setting is not high enough, too many obstructive events can occur, and that increases the overall AHI. Your overall obstructive AHI is less than 5, and so your pressure is probably set high enough. Over time your AHI will start to settle down, although you will see some variation from night to night. And there will be some very good nights and the occasional bad night. Look at the trending data rather than data from any one night.

Leaks: Minor leaks don't affect the AHI at all. And your max leak rate is small enough to indicate that all of your leaking on this night was minor. Your machine is quite capable of compensating for minor leaks by increasing the amount of air being blown into the "system" to maintain the desired pressure. Resmed defines a Large Leak as anything over 24 L/min and it is at this level of leaking that the machine has trouble compensating for the lost air. The problem is not a few short lived spikes of large unintentional leaks, however. The problem occurs when a Large Leak lasts for a very long time: The machine can't maintain the proper pressure, and that can allow more events to occur. At the same time, the machine has a hard time tracking your breathing properly, and this in turn makes it harder to detect the events that do occur. Hence during extended periods of Large Leaks, the true AHI may go up, but the machine reported AHI may go down because those apneas are not detected.

As far as the number of CAs go: CAs are not treated by increasing the pressure. CAs can be higher on nights where you simply don't sleep very well because a lot of people have some CAs during the transition to sleep, so if you're drifting in and out of sleep, that can trigger more CAs than normal.
(03-17-2014, 12:14 AM)Gabby Wrote: I am seeing my Sleep Doctor on 10th May.

Although I take pain medications daily, I am unable to take opiates, so unfortunately have to rely on paracetamol and ibuprofen for my headaches.
Are Central Apneas bad?
Write a list of questions on a piece of paper and take the paper with you to see the doctor so you don,t forget to ask the important questions

Your leak number are excellent, mine much higher but not botherd as long as not disturb my sleep or comes near the eyes

Some people find turn off EPR makes centrals goes away. I have no need for EPR, find it interfere with my breathing pattern but others swear by it, best thing since sliced bread as making breathing out against pressure more comfortable for them ... everyone is different

Also, note that depending on what you do with your (Windows) machine (e.g., map network drives etc.) you MAY NOT even get the same Drive Letter for the SD Card every time.

Mine was H: then last week it changed to G:

If you aren't certain look in the little "task tray" (at the right of the task bar) for the (popup) "usb plug" icon with a "green check" -- that's the card services icon used to properly remove a USB, SD Card or similar removable media.

You can use the to see the DRIVE letter and SHOULD (generally) use it to EJECT a card before removing the card.

(Usually you will notice no problem if you skip that step AS LONG as you don't write the card and grab it immediately. Mostly that "eject" just flushes the write buffers and offers applications a chance to release the drive before it is removed.)

You SHOULD "eject" it but it is seldom (occasionally) catastrophic if you fail to do that.

Quote:
ADMIN NOTE:
This thread is now closed. If you have a question regarding the SleepyHead software package, please go HERE.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 207 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,869 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 234 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 458 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Trouble with multiple masks jlpool 5 699 11-28-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Trouble getting Knightsbridge chinstrap slowe 9 880 11-27-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Trouble staying asleep with CPAP TiredTom111 4 798 07-20-2023, 11:04 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.