Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trouble with new ASV machine
RE: Trouble with new ASV machine
Well I am still having problems with what seems to me intermittent excessive pressure and/or poor synchronization with my breathing using my new AirCurve 10 ASV machine. When I start out at night the machine seems to function pretty well and I can get to sleep. But after about 2-3 hours I wake up experiencing high pressure with lots of leakage past my mask. It feels like it's only partially synced with my breathing because when I exhale is when the leakage peaks. Sometimes I shut the machine down and maybe put it on later in the night and the process repeats.

Here are the settings I have been using as suggested:

and here is the OSCAR from last night:

I was hoping the machine would have learned by now. Is it possible it's malfunctioning?

I hope you can help

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
someone else will have to help w settings. it probably has no practical implication but I'm here to point out that the machine doesn't adapt to us, we adapt to it.

in general w asv, limiting max ipap & using the blow back technique help with runaway pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd suspect mask leaks are due to improper mask fit or adjustments. I'd say that you are not adjusting it under higher pressure via Mask Fit or the mask is not well suited to your facial features. A good mask fit and adjustment should permit low leak levels all the way up to the 25 pressure the ASV can produce. Your 95% IPAP Max is at 17.5.

I don't see evidence the ASV is malfunctioning. I think at the 2-3 hour time is when sleep stage changes may be occuring, causing some sort of issue for you vs the ASV. That sleep stage change may introduce apnea events and the ASV responds via higher pressure.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It appears the machine is working properly in ASVauto mode at EPAP min 6.0, EPAP max 9.0 and PS 5-15. Leaks are brief and appear to be momentary seal failures or movement. Sometimes the feeling that synchronization has been lost, can be resolved with with ASV users call the "blow-back" technique. When you feel the machine is trying to run things, just blowing back at the machine and taking a few steady regular breaths will reset the timing and pressure support to follow your lead. As mentioned above, the machine only "learns" what happened in the previous 90 seconds, and uses that information to target the minute vent and breath rate. The blow-back causes the machine to reset and learn your current rate.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will try tightening up the facemask and see what happens. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2020, 05:31 PM)GaspForAir Wrote: I will try tightening up the facemask and see what happens. Thank you.

I tightened up the straps on my AirTouch F20 but last night's "sleep" was just as poor.
At bedtime I felt at one with the mask and got to sleep fairly quickly, but after about 1 1/2 hours the mask and I started fighting. It just does not seem in synch with my breathing even after several tries using the blow-back technique and mindful breathing. Less leakage, but still uncomfortable. Finally I took the mask off, slept for 4 hours, woke up started the machine again, had good rapport with the machine and then slept well until awakening.

I can try tightening up the mask some more but the asynchrony with my "natural" breathing is interfering greatly with my sleep.

Is there anything else I can try? More support and suggestions very welcome!
Post Reply Post Reply
Continuing to tighten the mask can be counterproductive. It can cause discomfort and pain for you and can distort the cushion, making leaks worse and not better. I think another solution is needed. Either try another cushion size or another mask model.

We also need to help you along in the poor sync with the machine. I don't know what would be causing it at this point in time. Are there any other lung or other health issues you're dealing with?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Current problems are mostly air leaks and mouth dryness. My AHI's are generally very good. I'm also not the greatest sleeper and sometimes I take my mask off during the night, but I am working on this.

Here is last night's Oscar

The masks I have tried are (in order):
  • Brevida nasal pillow
  • Resmed AirFit P10
  • Resmed AirFit F20
  • Resmed AirTouch F20
  • Resmed AirFit F30
  • ResMed AirFit N30 (currently using)
The Resmed AirFit N30 surprised me that it works so well. It seems flimsy but it seems to tolerate my tossing and turning best.

The big surprise is the air leaks. I tape my mouth with 2" micropore surgical tape and usually don't feel a lot of leaking around my nose. I've tried Xylimelts for the mouth dryness but that didn't really help so I just live with it.

Since you have been so helpful in the past I thought I would reach out and see what you might suggest for my current problems.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Unless I've gotten it backwards again, rounded leak patterns like this is probably mouth leaking. This leak is rather continuous throughout the sleep session. The dry mouth comments would support mouth leaks. I'd say that means your tape choice or method is in need of change.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!
This is interesting because I do tape my mouth. Perhaps the thin micropore tape is passing air?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 201 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,860 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 233 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 456 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Trouble with multiple masks jlpool 5 696 11-28-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Trouble getting Knightsbridge chinstrap slowe 9 876 11-27-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,130 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.