Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Troubleshooting a high leak rate
Troubleshooting a high leak rate
I just got a new CPAP this summer after my previous one failed by gradually losing pressure. It took me a while to figure out that my worsening health was caused by a dying CPAP. I'm feeling only about halfway better after a few months with the new CPAP, so I decided to access the clinician menu and try to figure out if my pressure setting is correct.

The good news is, my AHI is low - less than 1 for the last 5 nights. The bad news is, my leak rate is quite high - about 100 L/min! This is really confusing to me because my mask feels like a perfect fit. I don't notice noisy leaks or feel air blowing out the edges like I have with other masks. I corrected the "mask type" setting (I use a full face mask and it was mistakenly set to pillows) but the leak rate is not going down. I also checked the hose and elbow by disconnecting the rest of the mask and turning the machine on with my hand mostly covering the end, and I couldn't find any leaks. I just don't understand what's happening here.

I'm concerned that I'm not getting an accurate AHI because of the high leak rate. And I have no idea what the heck is going on with the high leak rate. Any insights you might have would be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Troubleshooting a high leak rate
Hello the_apricot and welcome

The number from screen is 95th percentile number, means leak was at or below this number for 95% of the night
Without the software, we don't know exactly how long stayed at this number, could be for only brief period or for longer period
If you wake up during the night, turn off he machine so does not skew the numbers
Mr smiley face tells us leak is good ... 70th percentile leak is less than 24 L/min, you want to see him not the his cousin Mr sad face

Download the software so you can see whats going
ResScan windows only, SleepyHead works with windows and Mac computers

Software download link http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi the_apricot,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Glad you are starting to feel better since you got a new machine.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2014, 07:54 PM)the_apricot Wrote: The good news is, my AHI is low - less than 1 for the last 5 nights. The bad news is, my leak rate is quite high - about 100 L/min!

The only way to sort that out is with software. ResScan will work, SleepyHead will work better.

You need to see when you're leaking, and what else is going on at those times. Like maybe the pressure is too high.

Meanwhile, try a different mask. See if you can find one that doesn't leak. Is a nasal mask out of the question?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the input! It's good to know that 100 L/min is the 95th percentile and not the average as I had assumed. I'll download the software and see what's going on.

A nasal mask is unfortunately out of the question. I tried to make it work, but I'm an incredibly stubborn mouth breather.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 81 1 hour ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 11 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 859 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.