Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

True Story - about my chin strap
True Story - about my chin strap
CPAP is great for me except for one thing - the chin strap. I have an occasional night were everything seems perfect, large leak near 0 and then I'll have a night where the large leak is high and my mouth as dry as the desert. Yesterday was my worst night ever as far as leaks go and the funny thing is, for the first time I was wearing my Ruby by Topaz chin strap as designed; up until yesterday I actually had it on completely wrong. I had been wearing the wide part on the top of my head and not the back of my neck. I have an XL and it is too big for me, it really only fits me when it is worn incorrectly. I may eventually try getting one sized properly but for now I've ordered the Halo. If I can solve this one problem I'll be in great shape. I think what we really need is someone that specializes in making custom chin straps Smile

David
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: True Story - about my chin strap
You're hired.

I hear you can get an old factory style singer on craigslist for about $500...
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep working at it. The correct chinstrap will be a sleep changer!
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've gone through several chin straps, including the Ruby, before finally giving a cervical collar a try. Wish I had read about it sooner, as it is the best thus far. It took a few nights to get used to the thing around my neck. Compared to the chin strap discomfort, it was nothing. I believe getting used to a mask or pillows makes it easy to adjust to another bit of gear about the head. No more jaw pain from a strap and no more tongue dried to the teeth. Another plus is no more aggravating an old neck injury from sleeping the wrong way. I suggest giving one a try. Cheaper too!
Post Reply Post Reply
I made one out of the 2" wide elastic waist band of some of my old insulated underwear (don't ski anymore, don't need them). I know, sounds gross but it worked very well since I was free to custom fit, cut & sew and design it as I saw fit. I had a double strap on the top to keep it in place. Unfortunately, I ended up tossing it and going back to my FF Mirage Quattro mask since the nasal pillows were blowing back through my ears (eustachian tubes) too much. Too bad since I loved the P10 otherwise. I may try it again someday if I can solve the ear problem, possibly lower pressure and side sleep if the mask will stand that. Keeping my mouth shut was no problem. (Mrs. Dude smiled when I said that.)

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a carefusion PureSom Ruby adjustable chin strap. Did anyone tell you about those? The reorder number is TMS-09ADJ in case you want to google it.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Philips Optilife mask came with a built-in chin strap (which the company tried to convince me wasn't a chin strap but a stabilizing piece). While I love this mask, I apparently wasn't buying enough of them and the company has quit making them. Not sure what I'm going to use once my supply of mask, and pillows runs out.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm using the Respironics premium chin strap III. Just started about 2 weeks ago. Cut my LL's in half. Which were very high. I had other issues in which my LL's were still high by any standards which some of the members here helped me solve.

The chin strap III was just a lucky shot, so I never looked any further. It's fairly inexpensive if you want to give it a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2015, 11:17 PM)PollCat Wrote: My Philips Optilife mask came with a built-in chin strap (which the company tried to convince me wasn't a chin strap but a stabilizing piece). While I love this mask, I apparently wasn't buying enough of them and the company has quit making them. Not sure what I'm going to use once my supply of mask, and pillows runs out.

I feel your pain PollCat. That was my mask of choice for 5 years and counting and then my supplier told me they weren't being made any more. I am so sad. I have tried the Respironics Wisp but it makes my nose bridge so sore. I used the cradle cushion instead of the pillows. I feel like I'm suffocating through the pillows. I suspect the engineers that design these masks don't require one to sleep at night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Goggle search still lists them as available from several sources. I'm interested in trying one so may order. Perhaps a mistake if it's as you say, no longer made. Even so, I may get one just to see what I'll be missing. Wink
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,943 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 598 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 367 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,111 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 501 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Long story short chronic 5 384 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,056 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.