Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Try adding aromatherapy to your treatment if you are new and having trouble
Try adding aromatherapy to your treatment if you are new and having trouble
I can't tell you how many times I tried to go to sleep with my mask on only to take it off because I just could not fall asleep. After dripping some aromatherapy oils on a paper towel and sticking it by the air intake on my machine it's SO much easier to fall asleep, from one newbie to another, give it a shot and it just might do the trick!

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Try adding aromatherapy to your treatment if you are new and having trouble
I never thought of that as a therapy but could work. Thanks for the suggestion.
Good luck with keeping your mask on. I have been there as a newbie.
"In the Jungle the Lion Sleeps"
Post Reply Post Reply
I use lavender oil that way. It's mostly a habit now, but it felt like it helped me to relax a lot last winter when I first started CPAP therapy. I have read that some CPAP users think it might gum up the pressure and flow sensors in the CPAP air path.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure it's a good idea to suck in vapors in the machine's intake.
No one knows what effect that might have on the very important sensors that are in the air stream to measure pressure and flow.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I know folks do it. Several respected members of the list have described it. But it doesn't strike me as a particularly desirable thing to do. It involves sucking up aerosolized molecules of oil and whatever else there is in there and pulling it through the machine. Some of it is going to stick to the guts of it.

Think of using a machine that has been in the house of a smoker. Never gonna get it all out. So unless you smoke in your house or has a household member that does, you would NEVER want to buy a used machine (or even an unused one) that came from a smoker's house. I remember an aunt that died several years back. Heavy, heavy smoker for several decades. Every surface in her house was sticky from the gunk in the smoke.

Maybe it's just me, but I am afraid of getting things screwed up by whatever goes in and stays in the machine.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm trying to give it up. I think I'm psychologically dependent on it, along with my iPod "sleep" playlist. I've used most of the 15 ml bottle that I bought in February, and I...probably...won't replace it when it's gone.

I agree about the sensors.

(07-17-2016, 07:54 PM)justMongo Wrote: I'm not sure it's a good idea to suck in vapors in the machine's intake.
No one knows what effect that might have on the very important sensors that are in the air stream to measure pressure and flow.

(07-17-2016, 08:22 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: I know folks do it. Several respected members of the list have described it. But it doesn't strike me as a particularly desirable thing to do. It involves sucking up aerosolized molecules of oil and whatever else there is in there and pulling it through the machine. Some of it is going to stick to the guts of it.

Think of using a machine that has been in the house of a smoker. Never gonna get it all out. So unless you smoke in your house or has a household member that does, you would NEVER want to buy a used machine (or even an unused one) that came from a smoker's house. I remember an aunt that died several years back. Heavy, heavy smoker for several decades. Every surface in her house was sticky from the gunk in the smoke.

Maybe it's just me, but I am afraid of getting things screwed up by whatever goes in and stays in the machine.

OMMOHY

Post Reply Post Reply
I have done it for almost a year now, anyone heard of dust plugging up computer fans? Chances with everything. Lots of "stuff" in the air. ummm wonder if you can clean out these machines?
Post Reply Post Reply
There are biomedical equipment repair places that I imagine could do it. I don't know if it would require cleaning or replacement of parts if they got gunk on them. There are probably Apnea Board members who could do it, too, but those are likely the same people saying we shouldn't be putting anything oily near the intake.
Post Reply Post Reply
I take the sides off my computers ever couple of months and use Dust-Off to clean dust from the fans and CPU heatsink.
I usually wear an N95 dust mask when I do so.

And, the intake filter on my CPAP is mostly to protect the machine -- especially from dust in the air.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Pics? GrinBigwink
(07-18-2016, 09:36 PM)justMongo Wrote: I usually wear an N95 dust mask when I do so.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 129 2 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,763 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 233 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 178 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 52,633 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  New here, trying to optimize treatment sweetbobby 10 562 03-03-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: sweetbobby
Question [Treatment] Treatment Emergent Central Apnea or Insomnia -- which is it? mallar 1 271 03-02-2024, 01:57 PM
Last Post: mallar

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.