Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Try adding aromatherapy to your treatment if you are new and having trouble
RE: Try adding aromatherapy to your treatment if you are new and having trouble
There are many places to get mask. Hardware stores, tool stores and lots of mail order. Sleep-well

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I use Eucalyptus oil to clear my sinus (I have bad sinus). I place a couple drops in the water reservoir so it doesn't go through the machine. I have done this nightly for a couple years.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2016, 07:54 PM)justMongo Wrote: I'm not sure it's a good idea to suck in vapors in the machine's intake.
No one knows what effect that might have on the very important sensors that are in the air stream to measure pressure and flow.
Who cares about the machine -- it can be sanitized, repaired, or replaced? What about your throat and lungs interacting with these potent chemicals? It goes way beyond the Does anyone have any information on the use of these aromatic substances on lung tissue?

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2016, 05:26 PM)srlevine1 Wrote:
(07-17-2016, 07:54 PM)justMongo Wrote: I'm not sure it's a good idea to suck in vapors in the machine's intake.
No one knows what effect that might have on the very important sensors that are in the air stream to measure pressure and flow.
Who cares about the machine -- it can be sanitized, repaired, or replaced? What about your throat and lungs interacting with these potent chemicals? It goes way beyond the Does anyone have any information on the use of these aromatic substances on lung tissue?

Good question, I know what the aromatic substances my wife used a long time ago did to my heart...like

Post Reply Post Reply
Aromatherapy has helped me. Just started CPAP therapy 2 weeks ago. Had hard time in the beginning because of not getting air through nose because of sinus/nose congested (and from wide-open default settings they sent me home with). Using humidity actually seems to make things worse.

I Primarily use 1-2 drops of Eucalyptus oil since. Helps a ton. Seeing ENT next week to see what can be done about sinus/nose, feels like allergies and benadryl also helps generally speaking.

I've an idea that my sinus/nose issues are a player in having OSA to begin with.

Went from AHI of 26 to between 0 and .2 now. Still waking up a few times a night, and still tired after about 3pm, but I think that's because of mask leaking blowing on my eyes (FFM Simplus) and from wrong mattress we just got. Headaches and extreme fatigue went away after about a week, so that's an improvement.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2016, 09:15 PM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: Good question, I know what the aromatic substances my wife used a long time ago did to my heart...like

Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2016, 10:44 PM)Lateralus Wrote: Seeing ENT next week to see what can be done about sinus/nose, feels like allergies and benadryl also helps generally speaking.

I've an idea that my sinus/nose issues are a player in having OSA to begin with.

The nose job that my ENT did has helped a lot. I wish that I had done it sooner. Good Luck to you Get it Done. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Depending on the machine, dust can cause major problems. I had a machine (Tranquility Quest), circa 1998, and dust got into the motor bearings and stopped the motor. I took my Puritan Bennett brick out of service after 10(!) years. The motor was starting to act flaky, and despite washing the filter once a week, I had an impressive amount of dust in the air passages.

I don't like the idea of oils or anything other than water in the humidifier. Even the washable filter on the old brick was annoying if I didn't do a good rinse. I'm also remembering an old <i>Law and Order: Criminal Intent</i> episode where the killer put a garden 'cide chemical in the victim's humidifier tank... /sarc Sleep-well /end_sarc
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a item that fits in the hose, between mask and main hose, that works without sucking the oil into the machine. "CPAP Infusion Adapter For Essential Oils Universal Fit." I don't think I'm allowed to mention sellers, so just think of a big river in South America.
Old man, new machine. Better sleep! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I mentioned the product sold by many on the list to my sleep doc and she indicated that it is helpful for many people and not a problem for the machine.

My wife uses it, I don't, except for a few nights after we ended up getting a smoking room at a motel.   Didn't have the discs, but my wife soaked a couple of q-tips in peppermint oil and stood them up a few inches away from the intakes.    Worked well to mask it until we could change the filters after we got home.

As long as you don't regularly run your humidifier dry, I think a couple of drops of Eucalyptus oil in the humidifier is a fine idea.  It's not running through the blower, and your humidifier and hose are replaced a couple of times a year anyways.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 52 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 121 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 207 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,871 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 281 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 197 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.