Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trying AirFit F20 ffm
Trying AirFit F20 ffm
[attachment=3298]Trying Airfit F20 medium size 

Background: On APAP for last 310 days primarily using F&P 405 nasal mask.  Have had higher number of LL approx. 5 to 12% of time.  AHI is usually below 5 and most times in the 1 to 2 range.  Believe I must open my mouth causing the LL.

Attached is period zoomed in from last night.  There is LL but no events recorded. The leakage is very low on the mask for the first 45m (first 20min are ramp at 7 l/m)  Then there are periods of LL although no events.  Ignore the period on left as I was trying mask in the afternoon to check for leakage.

The F20 mask design is very effective eliminating the leakage around the bridge of my nose as in past masks.  I maybe dropping my jaw when final asleep which causes air to escape and create the LL. (speculation)  May try chin strap tomorrow night.[attachment=3297]

Very interested in how other users have adapted to the F20
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Trying AirFit F20 ffm
I started using the F20 11 nights a go and of the three I have data for, it is the best with respect to leaks. For 7 of those nights my 90% leak rate as 0. On 2 nights I had the same problem as you may be having. I wake up to find the lower seal right at my lower lip. I don't know if it's due to my jaw dropping or the mask riding up a little. The other two masks for which I have data are the Amara View and the Quatro FX. I had a higher 90% leak rate with both, and the also problems with the seal at my lower lip at some times.

I have used several other FFM as well. The F20 is the best of the lot.

My only complaint is that the headgear strap that goes over the top of my head seems too short. This could be remedied by getting  the properly sized headgear. when I got the mask I didn't know that the headgear comes in Sm, Med, and lg. The masks appear to be packaged with the headgear that matches the cushion size. Since the med cushion was right for me I got a mask with med headgear. The lg headgear may have been better. My DME is not careful about mask sizing.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Melman

In Canada the F20 is in very limited distribution. My DME only had the med size to try out. Agree with your comment about the top head strap being a little too small. To bad they don't provide a velcro strap at the top. The pillow at the bridge of the nose really seems to work well. It fills with air and makes excellent seal.

I tried the Amara view and Simplus but not much improvement in controlling leakage. No issues with sores at the bridge of the nose with the F20.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting result last night.  At the end of 2nd session had a cluster of mixed OA and CA (mostly OA) which were caused by hitting max pressure limit of 14.  The result was similar to cyclical breathing the machine wasn't allowed to increase pressure.  I wonder if the higher limit should be increased so the OA can be managed by the Airsense when using FFM?

Note had long ( 29m ) LL prior to the cluster which was result of right lower strap not tight enough. (velcro strap came loose when putting on mask at start of 2nd session).
Post Reply Post Reply
I lengthened my top strap with a velcro cable tie. It's not perfect solution, but helps keep the mask from being pulled upwards and still allows some adjustment.

[Image: h4PSBVL.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2017, 09:19 AM)Roy289 Wrote: Interesting result last night.  At the end of 2nd session had a cluster of mixed OA and CA (mostly OA) which were caused by hitting max pressure limit of 14.  The result was similar to cyclical breathing the machine wasn't allowed to increase pressure.  I wonder if the higher limit should be increased so the OA can be managed by the Airsense when using FFM?

Note had long ( 29m ) LL prior to the cluster which was result of right lower strap not tight enough. (velcro strap came loose when putting on mask at start of 2nd session).

I would wait till some of the more experienced members here chime in before you make any changes.  But to my eyes, it looks like you do need to increase your EPAP (maximum pressure) by about 1 or even 2.  Personally I would consider adjusing your IPAP (mnimum) up by one but I am less sure of that since you are experiencing a fair amount of CA events.  Like I mentioned, I would wait till one of the more experienced members make some suggestions.  I am still very new to this.  What is your EPR set at?
Post Reply Post Reply
Roy, it may be pressure related, but it's a huge cluster at the very end of the night. I would not make changed on this one instance, but I would look at whether you got yourself into a posture that maybe obstructed your airway. Your flow limitation and snores completely contradict that this was likely an obstructive event at all, and if it was, obstructive rather than a central episode, I doubt a little more pressure would have made much difference.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Frieda, thanks for sharing your solution to the headgear. Innovative.

Atilla and Sleeprider.

my EPR =3. I've seen this cyclical flow rate before using the FP405 and it maybe a positional problem as you suggest. Perhaps how I route the hose (usually under my pillow) but hard to believe the heated hose could be compressed or kinked.

The F20 is an excellent mask but will take some time to find the best adjustments. Unfortunately my wife has medical complications recently which requires my aid every two hours during the night so not the best time to evaluate a new mask!

thanks for the suggestions -- a great forum
Post Reply Post Reply
Another night with clusters of OA (each usually longer than 20sec).  Zoomed in on first cluster.  Doesn't take long before max pressure reached.  As suggested before appears body position related i.e. going onto back.  The mask seems to leak when pressure rises above 11 l/m.

What is recommended solution?  Should I increase the upper limit (previously moved it from 14 to 15).  The FL seems to say these are not real OA.

The leaks all occur from sides of mouth, never from bridge of nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
Roy how are things? Did you ever get an answer? I will let Sleeprider or some of the more experienced folks answer here.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 48 3,061 35 minutes ago
Last Post: Domino96
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,563 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,971 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 983 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  ResMed Airfit P10 ScottW 41 20,128 02-12-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: TexasDon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.