Trying P10 Nasal Pillow tonight, how do I know if my mouth leaked?
sumzzzs Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: PRS1 BiPap Auto 750P
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro.
Humidifier: PR System One Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 EPAP 15 IPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Trying P10 Nasal Pillow tonight, how do I know if my mouth leaked?
Hello all, saw a new sleep Dr today, although I'm a firm believer that I'm a mouth breather he suggested I try these nasal pillows, because the forced air might force me so to speak to use my nose only. I'm skeptical? So the way I will know is my mouth will be dry?? Also if I'm exhaling out of my mouth does that effect leak rate on SH software? Yes? I have nobody sleeping with me to affirm that I mouth breathe.
01-26-2015 08:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: Trying P10 Nasal Pillow tonight, how do I know if my mouth leaked?
You are right on both counts. If you are mouth breathing/leaking, you will get dry mouth and it will show up on your leak rate. If you do mouth breathe/leak you can try a chin strap. The real stopper however is your tongue. It needs to seal against the back of your mouth. You can practice it during the day (open your mouth and keep breathing through your nose. The chin strap helps some people.
01-26-2015 09:45 PM
sumzzzs Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(01-26-2015 09:45 PM)PaytonA Wrote:  You are right on both counts. If you are mouth breathing/leaking, you will get dry mouth and it will show up on your leak rate. If you do mouth breathe/leak you can try a chin strap. The real stopper however is your tongue. It needs to seal against the back of your mouth. You can practice it during the day (open your mouth and keep breathing through your nose. The chin strap helps some people.

I'm going to where a chinstrap, but I'm not sure I can defeat my subconscious fact that I exhale through mouth, what exactly am I looking for tomorrow? Just excessive leak rate from P10?
01-26-2015 11:17 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10

Other Comments:

A mouth leak looks like a flat-top plateau on the graph. You'll know it if you see it. A mouth leak is also pretty noisy - you might wake yourself up.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-26-2015 11:53 PM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

I'm the original poster child for mouth breathers, Inc. I do still require a chinstrap at night although I can go a night or so without it. The secret of the chinstrap is to use gentle pressure. What it does is "encourage" the jaw to stay forward, which in turn encourages the tongue to stay put on the roof of your mouth, which completes the airway block.

I have found that I can inhale and exhale through my nose without any difficulty at all. Even when I get congested from a cold or allergy the pillows still allow me a comfortable nights sleep, and as an additional benefit seem to help clear up my sinuses for the next day.

But if I put the chinstrap on too tightly? I will get a very bad pain in the whatsits gland that lives inbetween the jaw and the ear. So that's why I use the term apply "gently."
01-27-2015 12:01 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
sumzzzs Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(01-26-2015 11:53 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote:  A mouth leak looks like a flat-top plateau on the graph. You'll know it if you see it. A mouth leak is also pretty noisy - you might wake yourself up.

I believe I will wake myself when I leakCool But thanks for that hint on the graph appearance

(01-27-2015 12:01 AM)retired_guy Wrote:  I'm the original poster child for mouth breathers, Inc. I do still require a chinstrap at night although I can go a night or so without it. The secret of the chinstrap is to use gentle pressure. What it does is "encourage" the jaw to stay forward, which in turn encourages the tongue to stay put on the roof of your mouth, which completes the airway block.

I have found that I can inhale and exhale through my nose without any difficulty at all. Even when I get congested from a cold or allergy the pillows still allow me a comfortable nights sleep, and as an additional benefit seem to help clear up my sinuses for the next day.

But if I put the chinstrap on too tightly? I will get a very bad pain in the whatsits gland that lives inbetween the jaw and the ear. So that's why I use the term apply "gently."

I will try your chinstrap pointer tonight, I might have been doing this wrong with my FFM. Thanks
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2015 12:42 AM by sumzzzs.)
01-27-2015 12:41 AM
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

Sex: Female

Hi sumzzzs,
I also use a chin strap, not too tight though. You should still be able to move your mouth.
After using it for awhile, you can try without for a day or two. It's as if it trains you to keep your mouth closed. I know in my case that if I start breathing through my mouth, it is so noisy that it wakes me up! Very annoying that dry mouth feeling.
Good luck!

OpalRose
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2015 08:39 AM by OpalRose.)
01-27-2015 08:37 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
TheManseHen Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: RedMed A10 Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: One that came with machine
CPAP Pressure: 7.6-14.0 EPR 3

Other Comments: Started C-pap Boxing Day 2014. Tortured sleep more or less since 2000. Trigeminal Neuralgia.

Sex: Female

So...How'd it go? Sum-zzz's?

I have the p10 and I LOVE IT! (apart from my DME not carrying the "for her" strap that is lavender and which I would have preferred...Note to self, ask them to order it in for my next one?)

Yes I have Trigeminal Neuralgia acting up again since C-pap, and yes I may have to go to another mask at some point but for now, it's love.

So..in my early days with it, (which coincided with early c-pap days as well) I opened my mouth a few times the first few nights, and heard the hurricane, and worse yet, felt the absolute cotton mouth from even a short opening time. I thought i might have to go to a chin strap as well, but I watched my charts, and I did the thing where you try to seal your tongue on the roof of your mouth (make care not to press it against back of teeth/that would be a tongue thrust and it's bad for your occlusion) when going to sleep and any time I go back to sleep as well. I've somehow managed to mostly keep mouth shut. After the hurricane nights, I had a couple nights where my lips were doing "raspberries" (YES I am SURE it was my lips ahem!) obviously trying to stay sealed but letting snores/airs out. Well that too woke me up. By about a week, I was not doing any of those and my leak rates have been acceptable apart from high leaks when I leave mask running during loo trips.

I was afraid if I went to a chin strap too fast, my lazy self muscle memory would just slack off and rely on it. One reason I'd hesitate to use a full face because I don't want to develop bad habits. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. If my leak rates were bad I'd have gone to chin strap done lightly like suggested. I may still have to go to one to get my AHI lower, we'll see.

Hope you had a good night. Stay with the p10 at least a week if you can. There is a learning curve. Also pillow size matters I here. I've only tried the mediums which were suggested by DME but if you have all three sizes in your kit, experiement.

Susan
01-27-2015 02:18 PM
TyroneShoes Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 10-14

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
(01-27-2015 12:01 AM)retired_guy Wrote:  ...What it does is "encourage" the jaw to stay forward, which in turn encourages the tongue to stay put on the roof of your mouth...

Not to derail the thread, but I am using the P10 and have never really had an issue with mouth breathing, so I have not ever investigated a chin strap; never even have seen one and can only imagine them.

But my thinking is that a chin strap applies pressure from the direction it is anchored (back/top of head). So how can that help your jaw jut forward?

The reason I ask is that my airway opens up much better if I jut my jaw forward; I could probably get away with a dental appliance, but I already have a Autoset and it does not bother me at all, and I like being able to parse the data to see how I'm doing, so I expect to stay with it.

But if a chinstrap would help actually jut my jaw forward, I think that could only be an improvement, so you have piqued my curiosity. Can you elaborate on how this all works? Do you have a recommendation on straps that I can research?
01-27-2015 08:40 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
jimmye4golf Offline

New Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: AirFit™ N10 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
CPAP Pressure: 13
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

If it doesnt wake you up that normal dry mouth turns into an extremely dry mouth. So dry you will feel like eating vaseline. lol Good luck. The nose mask is the only mask I could use effectively.
01-27-2015 10:18 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Bite Guard for Mouth Breathing mcsheltie 11 476 11-29-2016 11:46 AM
Last Post: mcsheltie
  [CPAP] Mouth slips below mask Carbonate 5 251 11-28-2016 07:35 AM
Last Post: jimscott3
  Nasal pillow life unofon 5 383 11-26-2016 03:27 PM
Last Post: unofon
Angry [Treatment] Dry Mouth Question Turborob2005 5 306 11-15-2016 10:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider