Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trying it again, my cpap relasp
Trying it again, my cpap relasp
The short of it...
6 plus years ago I had a sleep study, and of course I didn't sleep well in there beds. The Dr said that I had a slight case of sleep apnea. I got the machine and woke up every night ripping the mask off to catch my breath, and wasn't willing to make the hr drive to get it adjusted. Next time I had a appointment I explained my feeling and he said that it was up to me since I had slight case not to sweat it if it wasn't helping me.

FF to last week..
DOT physical, and my BMI being over the limit I had 2 choices; get a sleep study on my dime, or fire up the ole Vader machine. So I ordered new headgear, hose, and filter. I also found a youtube video and bumped my number from a 7 to a 7.5, and my flex was at 3, and turned it down to a 1. This seemed to help, but still pulled it off last night, but thankfully my wife caught me, and I awoke this AM with it on, and feeling normal.
Maybe my number is still 2 low?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Trying it again, my cpap relasp
Welcome to the forum. Based on your equipment listing, you might consider turning on your CPAP's auto titration mode. I'm not familiar with the reporting capability of the DataRest software you have listed. If it doesn't report at least some of the following pressures: minimum, average, median, and percentile, I would recommend that you download Sleepyhead to obtain this information. After a week or longer, review these numbers to see what the machine is adjusting the pressure range to help reduce your apnea.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi DJ4wd,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
As you read or watch tv during the eening, wear your mask and use your machine to help your body get used to this new way of sleeping.
Better luck the second time around.
Hang in there for more suggestions. Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I am so glad you returned. you did not mention a humidifier, but I see that you do have one listed in your profile. sometimes a tweak on that setting is also helpful.

definitely hard to gage in just a night, so just keep on with the CPAP for a half dozen, then see how you feel.

can you get a score use the DataRest or the CPAP machine? if so, you can watch the AHI result each day to see if you are in a normal successful treatment range of 0-5.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
They have rules about BMI on a DOT physical? WOW.
May I ask your BMI?

In answer to your question, with increased weight, likely you do need higher pressure.

You can do that a little at a time; or switch to auto mode.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the great info. after looking at the machine, and scrolling through all the option, I don't see a reporting system at all, and unsure how to change much except what I would call the max number
sgearhart said you might consider turning on your CPAP's auto titration mode. Not sure how to do that

And justmongo suggested to turn it to auto mode, and again not sure how that's done. I had a 15 min set up date with the nice lady who brought it with me years ago so Im unsure about a lot.

MY BMI was a hefty 48

I also turned up the humidifier to 5 to combat the dry mouth.

Does this rag smell like chloroform?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2015, 09:04 AM)DJ4wd Wrote: but still pulled it off last night, but thankfully my wife caught me, and I awoke this AM with it on, and feeling normal.
Maybe my number is still 2 low?

It sounds like you're doing ok. You simply need to get used to having the thing on. After a few days you and the mask will become one and all will be well.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've steadily increased my pressure from 7 to 9.5 since the beginning of this thread, and it taking me some time to get used to it, I have had 1 semi full night of rest, and a successful day with no naps.

Question, Why would I want my machine to be on auto?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2015, 03:50 PM)DJ4wd Wrote: Question, Why would I want my machine to be on auto?
The auto and the auto-titration mode, that I spoke of, is one in the same. This mode allows you to set lower and upper pressure limits that the CPAP will use to try to obtain the optimum pressure for you. You don't want the lower limit to be so low as to make you feel like you are suffocating. Generally this should be any value 6 or greater. With experience you will adjust this value to be closer to your actual treatment pressure. The upper pressure setting isn't as critical. The upper limit will only be used if the machine sees a need to overcome an apnea event. In the auto mode the machine will try and use the lowest pressure required to prevent any apneas.

At the top of the webpage is a link to CPAP Setup manuals. I've copied the link here to make it easier.
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual
Just scroll down the page and you should find your model.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I understand, thanks. I'm having a difficult time finding any info on how to alter the settings to turn the Auto option on. My machine only shows the max #
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.