Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] modest811 - Therapy Thread
RE: modest811 - Therapy Thread
A venting problem eh? So you think I was getting too much CO2 at points and was starting to hyperventilate? 

It's so strange though because like 2 weeks ago I had no problems with f20 for such a long time and now all of a sudden it's giving me so many issues. 

I could try another elbow but I do like how quiet it is.. I do notice though when I breathe into the F20 mask it feels a little different. I can feel it suction on and off and that was never the case before. 

Dreamwear it is tonight...
Post Reply Post Reply
The F20 elbows I have received since 2017 have been 2 slightly different configurations. I have never had one with any filter material in the vent.  The left unit has holes straight through. The latest version (right) has the diffuser ring added that directs the air sideways.

[img]blob:http://www.apneaboard.com/65962f96-6847-40ef-b21f-c6d4b2417f46[/img]
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not sure if you saw my previous edit. I had been thinking about it more and am not sure if it was venting and CO2 related or if timing related. In my mind the two possibilities are.

1) Poor venting and body breathing fast trying to exhale CO2. In a way you could call it hyperventilating but the interesting feature is that you weren't taking large amplitude inhalations trying to breath in more fresh air. You can see what I would consider true hyperventilation to look like in my old thread below (where I was hyperventilating due to plugged filter). If this is the issue better ventilation should help although like yourself I like the reduced venting and noise quietair provides. 

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/attachm...?aid=19482

2) Machine came out of sync with your breathing potentially due to using too high of a trigger sensitivity. You can see how your breathing in below attachment of strange breathing starts to get close to a similar pattern around 2:15:15 (double breaths but not as uniform). It is worthwhile checking the beginning of that period of breathing to see how it started, if it appears that your breathing got out of sync/doubled up and then hit a steady state then lowering the trigger sensitivity may help.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/attachm...?aid=39119
Post Reply Post Reply
Happened again last night! It's so annoying... 

[Image: Dnxpj6g.png]

[Image: mWHirPY.png]

It's definitely positional, I filmed it last night and I was on rolled on my back and it started popping off. You can see it here. I have an 'apnea' which is not one, it's just I moved in my sleep and held my breath, then as I'm on my back it starts up. 

[Image: jz6FbjB.png] 

It's just so weird because I had been using apap/bipap for over a year and hadn't had this issue, and then all of a sudden it starts up. I'm pretty young, 31, and I don't have any health issues. I looked when I was sleeping and I'm def not breathing this fast. The people at a DME-owned forum seem to just think it's those cardiac oscillations and it should be ignored. You guys think it's heavy flow limitation. I've tried my Vauto and honestly it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference. My heart rate was pretty stable during this time and not erratic. I'm tired today but I think I just kept waking up from condensation in my mask (I have a heated tube but the tube doesn't heat up the mask unfortunately). 

I don't know. I just hate this. I don't like wearing the sleep noodle that keeps me on my side because after awhile my shoulder hurts from sleeping in one position. Maybe I'll try my soft cervical collar tonight but that ends up hurting my neck a bit. Ugh.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's flow limitation and positional, but it is also a different pattern than what we normally see from simple chin-tucking. Several members have displayed this intermittent high flow limit with unstable end of expiration and wavy inspiration. I think it is a fluttering or rapid opening and closing of some tissues at the point of obstruction, but that is just a theory. The machine does not have logic to differentiate this from rapid respiration. All I, can say is, you're not alone, and it does not seem to resolve with pressure support and often it does not fully resolve with a collar, although it gets somewhat better.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Were you able to see any strange chest/diaphragm movements on the camera, just looked like normal breathing or wasn't able to tell due to angle, blankets etc?
Post Reply Post Reply
Had this weird jaggy thing happen again for the first time in awhile last night for a short period. Luckily was filming the whole thing AND my face was right at the camera.

Think I unlocked a mystery slightly. When this period was happening, my mouth was wide open. Looked to be breathing normally. but maybe, just maybe, the pressure of the air coming in my mouth was causing some weird oesophageal things to happen.

Didn't seem to happen all when my mouth was closed. Just another piece of the puzzle... would explain why the collar or mouth taping helps people with this.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lanners - Therapy Help Lanners 25 978 21 minutes ago
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 28 841 10 hours ago
Last Post: jakespeare65
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,086 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 177 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 256 03-27-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,272 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,367 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.