Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] modest811 - Therapy Thread
RE: Higher Exp time than Insp time ,help!
First, normal respiration is longer expiratory time than inspiratory time, so you don't have a problem. Long inspiratory times are associated with airway resistance and flow limitation which makes taking in a breath harder and longer. We know that increasing pressure support (EPR) can help with flow limitation and shorten inspiratory time, however you are at the limits of your EPR at 3. Your flow rate chart shows evidence of minor flow limitation with some intermittent soft tissue collapse near the peak flow. The only tool you have remaining is increased minimum pressure, unless you move to the Vauto which can increase pressure support. In any event, your results look pretty good. Be assured your respiration cycle times are normal.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Trying out ASV could use some help...
Hey guys, 

Got my hands on an ASV for EXTREMELY cheap so I thought why not give it a shot? Was on an Air Sense for Her previously and while my numbers were good I still felt tired and not with it. I've heard Dr. Krakow said ASV can help people better than a regular CPAP so decided to give it a try. 

Last night was my first night and I've attached my results. While my ahi looks fantastic, I kept waking up through the night. I think my humidity was low. What really has me worried is how low my respiratory rate got down to. It says it was at 6 breaths a minute at one point! Yikes! 

Should I not give the ASV another shot? Do my settings seem fine? When I zoomed in I noticed when I was actually sleeping well my flow rate seemed less limited so that's good? My I:E ratio is much better too and my Tidal Volume is bigger? 

What do you think?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Trying out ASV could use some help...
Really getting increasingly freaked out by that low respiratory rate... I hope i didn't cause any damage to myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
The area of concern I would have with that low of a respiration, is oxygen desaturation.  You might wish to consider obtaining a recording oximeter.  Something like the CMS-50F or a Wellue device.  Both are OSCAR compatible.

I should mention that if you decide to purchase one, search for discount coupons first.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let's look at some different charts.
Events
Mask Pressure
Minute Vent ResMed ASV tries to maintain this.
Tidal volume
Respiration Rate

Please fit these onto one page.
In addition to the full night view provide a couple of 5-minute views of the areas you question.

thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
sure thing! 

Full view with the things you asked
[Image: 51EKYzp.png]

A couple up closes with ASV where it looks extra wacky
[Image: qUV3uVB.png]
[Image: ERvjIuL.png]

And here is a 'good night' on my for her machine, this is what would have been normal then... 
[Image: eOHb6Gz.png]

I had a lot of aerophagia last night too with the ASV... Honestly thinking of just not using it again... I'm a little freaked out by the results.
Post Reply Post Reply
in your apap flow rate graphs, have you seen a pattern like the 'whacky' one around 4:24 on your 4/30/21 asv screenshot?
Post Reply Post Reply
Never like that. I've seen stuff like this

[Image: p2UeNFz.png]

This is from an APAP night, but nothing as weird as the breathing in the one from the ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not uncommon IMHO
look at the detailed chart that starts at 422
You see each breath drawing a large volume with a breathing rate of 6. On the right of the page you see a faster breathing rate and a lesser volume for each breath. All this time the algorithm is keeping the minute vent constant as it should.

ASV works by raising PS which can aggravate aerophagia.
Post Reply Post Reply
So everything looks normal? Should I give ASV a go again? Do you think it can help with UARS?

I really just got a crazy deal on this machine (200 dollars CANADIAN, brand new!) so I thought I'd try it out to see if it would help. I do know that Krakow's theory's are outside of what regular sleep doctors think though...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,061 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 156 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 253 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,264 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,342 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 957 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,200 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.