Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: resmed
Humidifier: resmed
CPAP Pressure: unsure
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Trying to Sort it all out
Kind of a long story here. I've never been diagnosed nor have I had a study done. I know snoring and stopping breathing has been an issue with me for years. Just kind of ignored it for a number of reasons that a lot of people use. Then it happened! I woke up in the middle of the night feeling like if I had not woke up at that very moment I would have died. Then chills and cold sweats, headache, sick stomach and still feeling like my next breath may be my last. This was a game changer and NOT any fun. After a few of these I got serious about it. The thing is, those symptoms could be the beginning of a cardiac event or they are pretty much identical to the onset of a panic attack from apnea. No way to know without testing right? Next time I had one I went to the ER. After EKG, blood work etc. they determined nothing cardiac related was happening and a chill pill made it all stop in a few minutes. I made an appointment and went to see the doc. He agreed I needed a study once he heard my story and looked at test results. The way the network rules are he had to refer me to a sleep doc and sleep doc had to sit up a study. Disheartening but he referred me only to find out that the doc had been out of the office a few weeks and was overbooked and would be at least a month to get an appointment just to see the doc and then the study would have to be scheduled after that. Tried to get the primary doc for a different referral but of course he is out of town.

So, I tried to educate myself as much as I could in a short time. I bought an S9 and full face mask. First night I used it made it a little intimidating but in my position I decided I was going to use self control and get through using it that night. I used it almost 8 hours.Very little leakage. AHI of 2.18. I woke up yesterday feeling like a beast! I was not tired and groggy, no headache and thought I had found the fountain of youth and could not wait to get hooked up last night.

Last night all was good until about 2 a.m. I woke up and the pressure was feeling high and the mask was leaking around the edge with any movement at all and you guessed it, that panic feeling and the onset of an attack. I tried to stay with it and could not get it under control but gave up and took the mask off. After getting things back under control I got a couple more hours of sleep without the mask.

Now before you get the wrong idea, I am not trying to bypass the pros and their help. I am going to get the study and all of the things that are involved. Due to the scheduling wait I am just trying to make it to that point.

This is where you guys come in. I have used Sleepyhead and ResScan to look at data from the two nights. Right around 2:00 a.m. the graphs and data show a "skip" nothing recorded or showing for a few minutes around the time where the event happened. I know the machine was running and recording. I was hoping that maybe some of the experts on here could give me ideas as to what happens when the data looks that way. Since this is the 2nd time I have looked at anything like this EVER means I may be missing the cause. Any hekp you could throw out is appreciated.
07-12-2015 01:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

RE: Trying to Sort it all out
Temporary power failure?

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
07-12-2015 02:17 PM
rdonchann Offline

Members

Machine: S9

Other Comments:

Well the power was on. When it woke me up the machine was blowing at a high pressure. These events always happen between 2 and 5 the deepest part of sleep. Dont know if that means anything other than rem sleep. Maybe it was my wife kinking the hose Smile
07-12-2015 04:02 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

A gap in the data usually means the machine was off. Be sure to disable the auto-off function. How does your leak data look, especially near the time of the gap?

07-12-2015 04:29 PM
GeoffD Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: Integral + ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 14-17
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

(07-12-2015 04:29 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:  A gap in the data usually means the machine was off. Be sure to disable the auto-off function. How does your leak data look, especially near the time of the gap?

That's a very good guess. Roll over, temporarily dislodge the mask, the machine thinks you removed the mask and automatically shuts off. You then have no air when the mask re-seats until it auto-starts. That would wake anybody. A big spike in the leak data as the machine powered off would tell the tale.

It's also only your second night on the machine. It could easily just be issues with your body adjusting to the machine. Some people have huge problems. Others don't.

My first month+, I had some issues with the nasal mask I was using. Skin oils would mess with the mask seal and I'd get a lot of leaks that woke me. I switched to nasal pillows and that went away.
07-12-2015 05:10 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi rdonchann,
WELCOME~ to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions and much success to you as you start your CPAP journey.

trish6hundred
07-12-2015 05:56 PM
rdonchann Offline

Members

Other Comments:

I have spent the afternoon manipulating the software. Once I figured out how to zoom in and look closer, I believe leaks were the cause. Leaks were non existent leading up to the event. Then 3-4 minutes before it happened there were spikes on the leak graph as well as the pressure graph dropped. Once that happened the flow, pressure and leak graphs all went out of whack. I have a full face and a nasal mask. I went with the full face thinking it would be easier to seal.

I was thinking full face, then nasal, then pillows in order of easiest to hardest. Am I thinking right here?
07-12-2015 07:12 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Other Comments:

The spike in leak rate and drop in pressure would have been interpreted by the machine in the same way as if you removed the mask. I think your auto-off feature is enabled, so the machine actually shut off for the period of time you see on the graphs. The mask resealed enough for the machine to detect your breathing and the auto-on feature turned the machine on and woke you up. You need to access the clinical settings and disable the auto-off.

You can request the clinical manual that explains how to make these adjustments from the forum here. http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

07-12-2015 08:38 PM
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Other Comments:

If you can control air from leaking through your mouth, nasal pillows are the easiest and most comfortable, followed by the nasal mask. The smaller the contact area, the less surface that needs to seal. Nasal pillows are by far best for that as they just rest on the nares.

07-12-2015 09:03 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
rdonchann Offline

Members

Other Comments:

I have the manual and all I see is smart start it does work as you described. I don't see a way to disable the auto off. It looks like it's all or nothing. The post about the masks ruined my theory. I can see less area to seal but breathing exclusively through my nose seems kind of claustrophobic. Guess trying it is the only way to know.
07-12-2015 10:06 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Success...sort of Aether087 8 705 03-11-2016 08:50 PM
Last Post: Aether087
  Sort of Frustrating Paul Canaris 14 3,195 03-01-2013 08:20 PM
Last Post: cincysinner
  Confused in Australia - Trying to sort out the system Dooley 20 6,782 07-12-2012 08:04 AM
Last Post: mjbearit