Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trying to Sort it all out
RE: Trying to Sort it all out
If you have a hard time breathing through nasal pillows try a larger size pillow. It may seem restrictive breathing through pillows when trying on a mask but with air pressure the inhale is not bad at all. Exhale is where you would have more difficulty. The larger pillow helps that as do some machine settings (PS or EPR).
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2015, 01:04 PM)rdonchann Wrote: ...

Now before you get the wrong idea, I am not trying to bypass the pros and their help. I am going to get the study and all of the things that are involved. Due to the scheduling wait I am just trying to make it to that point.

This is where you guys come in. I have used Sleepyhead and ResScan to look at data from the two nights. Right around 2:00 a.m. the graphs and data show a "skip" nothing recorded or showing for a few minutes around the time where the event happened. I know the machine was running and recording. I was hoping that maybe some of the experts on here could give me ideas as to what happens when the data looks that way. Since this is the 2nd time I have looked at anything like this EVER means I may be missing the cause. Any hekp you could throw out is appreciated.

There are indeed 'informed' people on here but no experts, so I would not use the term lightly.

So far, the only 'expert' I can discern is DocWils, but he is an orthopod, who apparently has OSA, and accordingly give his comments
more weight than most.

But much useful info can be obtained on this site.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well by experts I was comparing their knowledge and experience to mine.

For an update: I changed up the fitting of the mask and changed a couple of settings. The ramp up was too long and the minimum pressure was too low. So it was making the first few minutes too uncomfortable. I can remember about 10 minutes after putting the mask on. The next thing I remember is waking up and being hacked off because I had to go to the bathroom. Then I looked at the clock and saw it was 5 minutes before time for the alarm to go off! Yay me! 3.1 AHI and about 7.5 hours use. I just need more of it now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nice! Well-done

Bed
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2015, 12:18 PM)rdonchann Wrote: Well by experts I was comparing their knowledge and experience to mine.

That does not make them 'experts'.

This OP should play the numbers (double entendre)!

I don't know if his machine is APAP, but if so, I'd set it at that and check it out, perhaps consider setting minimum 2cm lower and max 2 or 3cm higher than his last pressure where AHI was 3.1 . Of course, this is not taking into consideration possible 02 sat/desat issues.

AHI 3.1 is good but not very good. OTOH, it's really great that he slept so long with the mask!

Cheers,

Post Reply Post Reply
Machine is an S9 autoset. 3.1 AHI is so much better than the night before I don't even care.
Post Reply Post Reply
"Internet" experts?

DocWils is a great resource.

Expert" is often defined by 10,000 hours of relevant experience in a field. That means you have to go to work 40 hours a week for 5 years putting bondo into crumpled fenders on cars to be an expert at that. I could probably fake it the first time and come out pretty good, but I am risking a car fender and not my health.

You can get a lot of knowledge here, but it is still the internet, and assuming that anyone here is an expert might be a path to tread lightly on.

But I come here a lot, and mostly for the expertise here. But more is usually needed, which is why we have the field of sleep medicine.

What seems just a little curious is that there are no members here defining themselves as experts, as sleep docs, or sleep techs. I sort of understand that; I am reticent to define my level of expertise on forums directly in my wheel house, and most folks can easily guess why doing that could be problematic. So I understand. But it would be nice if there were sleep docs and sleep techs identified here as such.

On the other hand, I don't want to be fixing things in my down time that make me feel too much like I'm still at work yet not getting paid, so I get that as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2015, 01:25 PM)rdonchann Wrote: Machine is an S9 autoset. 3.1 AHI is so much better than the night before I don't even care.

For anyone starting out, that is fantastic! You will experience steady improvement, but don't be upset if you also have setbacks. We've all been there.

I am much more familiar with Respironics machines, so perhaps someone experienced with Resmed can address whether there is an auto-off function. As long as the mask stays in place it won't make much difference, but now I'm curious to know if smart start and auto-off are separable.

Mask comfort is the most personal aspect of using CPAP. My preference for nasal pillows is not shared by all. Using a larger size nasal pillow helps, and as long as pressure is adequate, you won't feel starved for air. For me, nasal pillows inflate the air passages and make it possible to breath, even through a cold or allergy. As you said, all you can do is try it and see if it works for you.

Congrats on your rapid progress.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2015, 02:09 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: "Internet" experts?

DocWils is a great resource.

Expert" is often defined by 10,000 hours of relevant experience in a field. That means you have to go to work 40 hours a week for 5 years putting bondo into crumpled fenders on cars to be an expert at that. I could probably fake it the first time and come out pretty good, but I am risking a car fender and not my health.

You can get a lot of knowledge here, but it is still the internet, and assuming that anyone here is an expert might be a path to tread lightly on.

But I come here a lot, and mostly for the expertise here. But more is usually needed, which is why we have the field of sleep medicine.

What seems just a little curious is that there are no members here defining themselves as experts, as sleep docs, or sleep techs. I sort of understand that; I am reticent to define my level of expertise on forums directly in my wheel house, and most folks can easily guess why doing that could be problematic. So I understand. But it would be nice if there were sleep docs and sleep techs identified here as such.

On the other hand, I don't want to be fixing things in my down time that make me feel too much like I'm still at work yet not getting paid, so I get that as well.

We have had and may still have RTs on the forum who identified themselves as such.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is the Evidence Code legal definition where I reside:

720. (a) A person is qualified to testify as an expert if he has special knowledge, skill, experience, training, or education sufficient to qualify him as an expert on the subject to which his testimony relates. Against the objection of a party, such special knowledge, skill, experience, training, or education must be shown before the witness may testify as an expert.
(b) A witness’ special knowledge, skill, experience, training, or education may be shown by any otherwise admissible evidence, including his own testimony.
(Enacted by Stats. 1965, Ch. 299.)

721. (a) Subject to subdivision (b), a witness testifying as an expert may be cross-examined to the same extent as any other witness and, in addition, may be fully cross-examined as to (1) his or her qualifications, (2) the subject to which his or her expert testimony relates, and (3) the matter upon which his or her opinion is based and the reasons for his or her opinion.
(b) If a witness testifying as an expert testifies in the form of an opinion, he or she may not be cross-examined in regard to the content or tenor of any scientific, technical, or professional text, treatise, journal, or similar publication unless any of the following occurs:
(1) The witness referred to, considered, or relied upon such publication in arriving at or forming his or her opinion.
(2) The publication has been admitted in evidence.
(3) The publication has been established as a reliable authority by the testimony or admission of the witness or by other expert testimony or by judicial notice.
If admitted, relevant portions of the publication may be read into evidence but may not be received as exhibits.

From my experience, formal educational and professional qualifications weigh heavily in determining competency to testify as an expert. So, unless a person were likely qualified to testify as an expert, I don't consider them one. I do not use the term lightly.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] AHI scores - what sort of range do people have? p123 4 505 10-14-2023, 09:49 AM
Last Post: jstro84
Sad New CPAP user (sort of)Headaches every morning twincessmom13 8 1,221 10-25-2022, 11:31 AM
Last Post: twincessmom13
Wink Good luck, sort of JamesW 4 1,577 07-08-2017, 06:45 PM
Last Post: JamesW
  "Sort of" a new member! Dagswe21 9 1,826 01-06-2017, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Beej
  Success...sort of Aether087 8 2,055 03-11-2016, 08:50 PM
Last Post: Aether087
  Sort of Frustrating Paul Canaris 14 5,170 03-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Last Post: cincysinner
  Confused in Australia - Trying to sort out the system Dooley 20 10,702 07-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Last Post: mjbearit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.