Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trying to Understand EPap, IPap & RS
RE: Trying to Understand EPap, IPap & RS
(05-21-2014, 07:04 AM)BiBob Wrote: So, if my sleep test indicated that a pressure of 18 cmH2O was required to eliminate most OAs, I should set my min EPap close to that. If that's true Instead of 14 I should set min EPap at 15 or 16 with max IPap at 22 and RS at 2. That way when events are sensed, the difference in pressure required to minimize OAs is less than when I've set min EPap at 14 and therefore quicker.

Is this correct?

Hi BiBob,

Yes. Considering your 95% pressure has been a lot higher than 14, therefore a Min EPAP of 15 or 16 would likely be better.

But at the same time, your titrated pressure was likely high enough to prevent most obstructive apneas/hypopneas (on that one night, at least) when you were sleeping on your back, in the "supine" position. Your current 95% pressures may be similarly high because you may be continuing to spend some time sleeping on your back.

Obstructive Sleep Apnea is usually very positional, with the worst position usually being sleeping on our back. That is why sleep techs try to get us to spend at least some time on our back, so they won't miss the usual worst case sleeping position.

My point is that if we can ensure we will never sleep on our back our pressure needs will likely be much lower. Less presure means fewer side effects from high pressure, perhaps less air swallowing, perhaps fewer Centrals. On some people high pressures can cause dizziness or ringing (tinnitus) or hearing loss, or air and nasal mucus to come out the tear ducts after being pushed into the eye socket.

So doing what we can to lower our needed treatment pressure is usually a good idea.

I sleep in a snug teeshirt with a tennis ball in a pocket sewn right between the shoulder blades, to ensure that when I roll onto my back while asleep I wake up just enough to keep rolling, onto my other side.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to OSCAR..Please Help me understand the data. *screenshots attached* Cowboys77 0 88 03-19-2024, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Cowboys77
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 97 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  UARS suspected - how set IPAP and EPAP jrcifani5005 20 1,093 03-05-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: jrcifani5005
  Just trying to understand this stuff Domino96 5 271 03-05-2024, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 245 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Newby trying to understand what i am seeing WoodyV12 18 982 02-24-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Macka
Question [CPAP] Help to understand current situation and OSCAR data 3dkid14 0 254 01-18-2024, 04:21 AM
Last Post: 3dkid14

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.