Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trying to determine lowest effective ASV settings
RE: Trying to determine lowest effective ASV settings
In that case you would see UA events.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2021, 07:42 AM)Gideon Wrote: In that case you would see UA events.

Thanks for answering SonOf's question, I was beginning to wonder about that myself since I just had my third straight night of 0.00 AHI. 
Even if the machine was misreporting events, I'll settle for that placebo effect! ;-)
Post Reply Post Reply
A zero AHI is good if/when it happens, and better if you're well rested and comfortable for it. It sounds like this what you've got going on.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Aircurve 10 ASV assumes any failure to achieve spontaneous trigger to IPAP or an "apnea" is central and will use up to the maximum pressure support allowed by settings to facilitate or cause a breath. If that does not happen because the pressure support is too low or there is obstruction, the system flags a UA (unknown apnea) and increases EPAP pressure based on the algorithm that assumes any untreated apnea is obstructive. The ASV can be undermined by setting the maximum pressure support too low.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the answers! I appreciate it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2021, 07:44 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The ASV can be undermined by setting the maximum pressure support too low.

But if I’m reading you right, it still flags events, yes? If true, then my zero AHI is a real number.

My central sleep apnea is related to medication. My sleep doc described it as a “signalling” failure, i.e. my brain is not telling me to breathe when my O2 is low due to the hypopneas. Apparently it doesn’t take much pressure at all to goose my “signalling” software and get it going again.

One thing I’ve noticed: my SpO2 level during the day seems generally higher than it used to be. I’ve been spot-checking it a few times daily, and it runs around 97-98%, where it used to be around 95% before I started CPAP therapy. This has been quite a ride.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:My central sleep apnea is related to medication. My sleep doc described it as a “signalling” failure, i.e. my brain is not telling me to breathe when my O2 is low due to the hypopneas. Apparently it doesn’t take much pressure at all to goose my “signalling” software and get it going again.

This is interesting, and somewhat incomplete.  The signaling failure is when you do not respond to hypercapnia, when CO2 rises. Respiratory drive is generally less a function of hypoxia, but it does seem to go hand-in-hand with hypercapnia.  I completely agree that a machine triggering IPAP can cause many individuals to spontaneously take a full breath, even when pressure support is not set high enough to fully overcome the complete absence of spontaneous effort.  Good observation, but respiratory drive arises from changes in blood chemistry from CO2 as received by the medullary chemoreceptors and carotid bodies, but is mediated by a hypoxic response in the carotid bodies. The longer more technical story is here, although the important takeaway is you're breathing fine, even if it is not entirely the ASV driving it. https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/med...moreceptor
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for that in-depth explanation, I actually understood most of it -- from a sort of 50,000 foot height! ;-)

The "O2 is low due to the hypopneas" part of my post I mostly pulled out of a hat when I couldn't remember exactly what my sleep doc had said. Now I've had a chance to think about it, what he talked about had to do with vagal signalling. I looked around and found this on Wikipedia which, together with your explanation, is beginning to pull it all together for me nicely:

Quote:The feedback from the carotid body is sent to the cardiorespiratory centers in the medulla oblongata via the afferent branches of the glossopharyngeal nerve. The efferent fibres of the aortic body chemoreceptors are relayed by the vagus nerve. These centers, in turn, regulate breathing and blood pressure, with hypoxia causing an increase in ventilation.

I bought a recording oximeter that should be arriving today (thanks to CZOscar and his excellent review of the Wellue 02 ring). Hopefully that will shed a little more light on this weird response!
Post Reply Post Reply
Technical issues on respiratory drive aside, you seem to be doing extremely well with low pressures. How do you feel?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2021, 09:23 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Technical issues on respiratory drive aside, you seem to be doing extremely well with low pressures. How do you feel?

In a word, Wow! I haven't had this much energy in well over a decade -- and it lasts all day. I never was a "morning person", but now I don't bite my husband's head off if he tries to speak to me before 10 a.m.! 

Even though it still takes me 30-40 minutes to get over the machine and fall asleep, I sleep much more deeply most nights and wake up actually refreshed. Interestingly, I used to get quite a few dyspnea spells during the day, now I almost never do (and we live at 3,000ft elevation!) It's almost as if my breathing software just needed a "reboot"! 

Of course I know it's not a "durable" fix, but I'm grateful I was fortunate enough to find the right mask (no thanks to my DME, which I'm dumping for AeroFlow Sleep) and help to get my machine settings to a comfortable level so I can settle down with the therapy long term. 

I've been taking opioids for severe refractory RLS/PLMD for something over 4 decades, I'm surprised it took as long as it did for the opioids to finally affect my breathing this badly. I was gratified to discover that ASV machines are just the ticket for my type of sleep apnea: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4106939/

Thanks to everyone in the community for all the info and support!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Going in Circles; CPAP doesn't seem effective; ENT? RainyDog 4 88 Yesterday, 10:10 PM
Last Post: RainyDog
Question How to determine OSA's exact cause (or causes)? Unkikonki 5 178 04-04-2024, 10:58 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  How to determine my current no-CPAP AHI BigWing 18 1,027 12-17-2023, 10:44 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 918 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Can't determine settings RichardTerrio 10 1,075 09-05-2023, 05:20 PM
Last Post: RichardTerrio
  Therapy less effective for no obvious reason Chalkie 2 438 08-09-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: Chalkie
  [Treatment] Is my therapy effective? Maikele 1 380 04-07-2023, 07:45 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.