Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trying to find a comfortable mask
Trying to find a comfortable mask
So I've been using my CPAP since the end of October and it's going fairly well now. I've gotten over the feelings of claustrophobia, thank god! My AHI has dropped from 50/hr to 0.8 to 2/ hour. I've gradually been able to keep it on longer and longer and manage 6 or 7 hours a few nights per week, but still have several nights between 4 and 5 hrs per week, usually due to mask issues. And I still wake up several times a night to find it on the floor, regardless of which mask I use.

So first, I'm a side sleeper and I use a ton of pillows, including body pillows. After having a couple of back surgeries and a knee surgery, sleeping on my back just isn't going to happen. Keeping a good seal while sleeping on my side has been a real challenge.

I've tried several masks now including the amara view, dreamwear nasal pillow, pico, mirage fx and the F&P Eson. I couldn't get used to the amara view, especially since I couldn't yawn in it, which caused major feelings of claustrophobia. I tried the dreamwear nasal pillows and couldn't get a decent seal. Its very comfortable, but definitely not for side sleepers. I get the best results with the pico with a good seal, but often wake up with it on the floor, and I wake up with a big red line across the bridge of my nose that takes a couple of hours to go away. I love the frame on the mirage FX, which solves the red line on the nose problem, but the air vents drive me nuts because they blow right in my eyes, and the straps keep slipping out of the frame. I don't know why they made the strap holders so flimsy on it. The F&P just doesn't fit at all and I can't get a good seal no matter how tight I strap it on.

I really wish I could use the nasal part of the pico (air vents point away) on the frame of the Mirage, but they're not interchangeable.

Any suggestions? Should I keep trying masks, or just stick with the pico and suffer the dreaded red line on my nose?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Trying to find a comfortable mask
Try a pillow such as the PAPillow. In addition to the different shape of the perimeter, pillows like this have a small footprint, but are thick. Good for letting your mouth and nose hang off the edge.

Also, try going back to some of those masks that previously didn't work for you. I found that as I adapted I was able to tolerate masks later that I couldn't earlier. For example, I started on a nasal mask but switched to nasal pillows because I couldn't get a good seal. I had to constantly clean off the oils from my skin. Now I tolerate a full face mask with no issues. As time passes things improve. It's gradual but it accumulates and adds up to a big difference.

Stop sleeping without the mask. It hinders the process, makes it harder to adapt, and increases the time it takes to adapt. Some people have to attach the straps with bobby pins. Also, the machine has an alarm feature that you can turn on so that an alarms sounds when the mask is removed.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2016, 05:19 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Stop sleeping without the mask. It hinders the process, makes it harder to adapt, and increases the time it takes to adapt.

I'm trying to sleep with it on, but pull the mask off in my sleep and wake up to it on the floor. I put it back on when I do wake up, but I can't help what I do while I'm asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
usertc, YOU are the next to be assimilated by the Resmed Airfit P10! Lucky girl!

The Airfit P10 will stay with you better than the Dreamwear, will not blow air on you or your bedmate, and easily moves with you on your side, and even your front. The headgear is the most minimal of any on the market. I've been doing this since 2008, always with nasal pillows, and these are the best yet. Since you were successful with nasal therapy, this will work for you too.

Resistance is futile.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2016, 05:37 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: usertc, YOU are the next to be assimilated by the Resmed Airfit P10! Lucky girl!

The Airfit P10 will stay with you better than the Dreamwear, will not blow air on you or your bedmate, and easily moves with you on your side, and even your front. The headgear is the most minimal of any on the market. I've been doing this since 2008, always with nasal pillows, and these are the best yet. Since you were successful with nasal therapy, this will work for you too.

Resistance is futile.

I will see if my dr has a loaner of that one to try!

I like your avatar! I grew up in Mariposa!
Post Reply Post Reply
Another vote for the P10's. But I want to add that getting the right size is crucial to it working as it should. The loaner I used was not the right size and I didn't get a good seal. I decided to have another go at it and bought myself one in what I felt would be a better size (the For Her as opposed to the regular) and I get 0 leaks with it now! Better than the DreamWear which was giving me 0 leaks a few times, but I would wake every time I rolled over to adjust it. I am a side sleeper and turn from side to side and found this annoying to have to readjust every time I rolled over. Just my 2cents.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 199 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 444 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,214 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 328 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  What is the most comfortable pressure and settings if comfort is the only goal? hejohoo 2 315 01-20-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Was sick for a while and didn't use my PAP machine for about two weeks. Now I find my JonZ333 1 330 01-16-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Will lofta help me find the right pressures? Swsch2985 6 457 12-30-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.