Mask Type: Not using mask
Mask Make & Model: None
Humidifier: None
CPAP Pressure: None
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

RE: Trying to get UPPP surgery - Dr. denies me
Well, I had the surgery on the 23rd of March...according to my MRI & X-rays, my esophagus is WIDE open now and it is still swollen! I have another 6 1/2 weeks of healing from this, then they go in and remove the braces part of the hardware in my mouth. I was told by my surgeon to request another sleep study after that.
04-02-2012 09:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
greatunclebill Offline

Members-b

Machine: Respironics System one Auto A-Flex
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: System one
CPAP Pressure: 8-12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreViewer

Other Comments: quattro fx full face

Sex: Male

(04-02-2012 09:25 AM)southernlady Wrote:  Well, I had the surgery on the 23rd of March...according to my MRI & X-rays, my esophagus is WIDE open now and it is still swollen! I have another 6 1/2 weeks of healing from this, then they go in and remove the braces part of the hardware in my mouth. I was told by my surgeon to request another sleep study after that.

i hope you mean your windpipe. the esophagus is the tube your food goes down. i hope your windpipe stays wide open when your body relaxes in deep sleep. that is when it really matters.
04-02-2012 09:48 AM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Thanks for the update, southernlady.... keep us informed as to how the healing process goes in the weeks to come, okay? Also, after all this is done and you've fully recovered, let us know your thoughts or any tips you can share with others who might be considering the same procedure.

Thanks and good healing to you!

Wink

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

04-02-2012 10:25 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
southernlady Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: None

Other Comments:

(04-02-2012 09:48 AM)greatunclebill Wrote:  
(04-02-2012 09:25 AM)southernlady Wrote:  Well, I had the surgery on the 23rd of March...according to my MRI & X-rays, my esophagus is WIDE open now and it is still swollen! I have another 6 1/2 weeks of healing from this, then they go in and remove the braces part of the hardware in my mouth. I was told by my surgeon to request another sleep study after that.

i hope you mean your windpipe. the esophagus is the tube your food goes down. i hope your windpipe stays wide open when your body relaxes in deep sleep. that is when it really matters.

The part that was affected was the shared part...it was because it was so small the base of my tongue got in the way and that happened before it actually became my windpipe.

(04-02-2012 10:25 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  Thanks for the update, southernlady.... keep us informed as to how the healing process goes in the weeks to come, okay? Also, after all this is done and you've fully recovered, let us know your thoughts or any tips you can share with others who might be considering the same procedure.

Thanks and good healing to you!

Wink

I'm healing slowly...lost about 10 lbs because of the surgery and am now 6 weeks out...finally eating fairly normal. Altho I still have issues chewing. Smile I have the arch bars (wires) taken off on the 21st of May.

After that, I am to request another sleep study to see how this all worked.

Liz
05-04-2012 04:25 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

(05-04-2012 04:25 PM)southernlady Wrote:  I'm healing slowly...lost about 10 lbs because of the surgery and am now 6 weeks out...finally eating fairly normal. Altho I still have issues chewing. Smile I have the arch bars (wires) taken off on the 21st of May.

After that, I am to request another sleep study to see how this all worked.

Liz

Hi Liz... yeah, I'm really interested in finding out how your sleep study goes after all this... thanks for the update!

That is called losing weight the hard way, i guess. Thinking-about

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

05-04-2012 04:55 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
southernlady Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: None

Other Comments:

(05-04-2012 04:55 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  Hi Liz... yeah, I'm really interested in finding out how your sleep study goes after all this... thanks for the update!

That is called losing weight the hard way, i guess. Thinking-about

I'll keep y'all updated but I figure it will be late June/into July before I get back in for another one.

Liz
05-04-2012 05:14 PM
Kadenz Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: AirFit F10
Humidifier: AirSense 10 HumidAir
CPAP Pressure: Auto-CPAP

Other Comments:

I have had a UPPP surgery (which was very very painful btw). It cured my snoring but not my OSA - which is hardly a surprise as all the evidence apparently shows that it has a low success rate. Like a previous poster said, it was the worst decision I've ever made (and Ive made quite a few bad decisions in my time). It reduces the likelihood of cpap being successful.
05-06-2012 03:54 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Maxillomandibular advancement surgery AMA mrkdilkington 0 115 11-29-2016 04:07 PM
Last Post: mrkdilkington
  Question for those who had MMA Surgery - Feeling Hopeless voiddweller 7 323 10-30-2016 02:56 AM
Last Post: 49er
  Sleep Apnea Surgery zeeser 5 598 10-26-2016 02:42 PM
Last Post: Kadenz
  [Health] No CPAP During Sinus Surgery Recovery Sleepster 20 1,556 09-21-2016 07:02 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Is it okay to decrease cpap pressure after nose surgery? kowlooner 8 579 09-13-2016 11:33 AM
Last Post: kowlooner
Question [CPAP] Upcoming endoscopic surgery and CPAP Wrz77 2 287 09-08-2016 08:28 PM
Last Post: Mike1953
  Should I bring CPAC to minor surgery R_W_B 17 791 09-07-2016 10:55 PM
Last Post: Maskup Sleepwell