Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trying to gt ahi and leak rate under control
Trying to gt ahi and leak rate under control
I a fairly new bipap user (as of early May) .   My sleep study showed an AHI of 73 and I am now at around 7.  But, I can't get below that number consistently.   I will occasionally get a 3 but only once in a while.   My leak rate is high, typically 20 - 35 lpm (at 70% per sleepyhead).  I've tried 4 different masks and still getting these readings.  My most recent masks were the Dreamwear which I found very comfortable but would frequently leak when I rolled on my side.  So, I switched to the Airfit P10.  I find this mask pretty comfortable (though the hose is not as unobtrusive as the top of the head connection on the Dreamwear mask) and it doesn't leak when I roll on my side (at least I don't hear any leak) but in the morning the leakage numbers are high and I often get the red frowny face.   I even added a chinstrap and taped my mouth but that didn't make the numbers improve so I don't think it's a mouth breathing issue.

Here's my question.  How important is the leaking given that:
1.  I don't wake up because of it
2.  The mask pressure is not dropping due to the leaks (per the Mask Pressure chart in Sleepyhead)

Secondly, is there anything I should change to try to get the AHI down from 7-8 or should I be content with the fact that it's come way down and I'm feeling much less tired during the day.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Trying to gt ahi and leak rate under control
Welcome to Apnea Board. I will defer to others that are far more knowledgeable on settings, suggestions, etc. Certainly, you can tell by the AHI decrease, obviously, you're headed in the right direction. For the leaks, I'd suggest giving the Mask Primer article a try for lots of useful tips while you wait for others to chime in.

Best wishes on future success,
Dave B.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The aircurve will keep up with your leaks as long as they do not exceed 24 l/min.  I have the same machine and mask, sometimes I exceed the 24 l/min but not for very long and I do not get terribly worked up over it.  Best thing to do is get a few more posts, and post images of your sleepyhead reports.  Post them  and members will be able to give you some great input.  Good luck and keep up the good work.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2017, 03:46 PM)silversnore Wrote:  Best thing to do is get a few more posts, and post images of your sleepyhead reports.  Post them  and members will be able to give you some great input.  

How many posts are required before I can post images?
Post Reply Post Reply
Four posts.  You can use this link http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board to post your charts to the site.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can link to an Imgur image now, but put a space in the URL...like h ttp://ImgurURLhere.com

For your mask, get a snuggle hose and place the cover from just a couple inches away from the nasal pillows. It will be soft and quiet, and I find it helps to hang the hose from the headboard.

AHI 7 is kind of high, and your strategy to correct that depends on the types of events. Be sure to let us know what EPR setting you are using.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sirto,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy, you have come to the right place for guidance.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2017, 05:53 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: AHI 7 is kind of high, and  your strategy to correct that depends on the types of events.  Be sure to let us know what EPR setting you are using.

Pressure relief is set at 4 cm.
I just ordered a soft cervical collar.  Will report back when I get some data.
Post Reply Post Reply
I missed that you're using a bilevel. If your events are mostly central reduce PS or the difference between IPAP and EPAP. If events are obstructive, increase minimum EPAP pressure. Since you have not posted any charts, that's the best I have. I suspect your events might be central from the pressure support.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2017, 10:32 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I missed that you're using a bilevel.  If your events are mostly central reduce PS or the difference between IPAP and EPAP.  If events are obstructive, increase minimum EPAP pressure.  Since you have not posted any charts, that's the best I have.  I suspect your events might be central from the pressure support.

Not sure how you'd define mostly central.

Over the last week the avg CA was 2.3, HI 0.36, OA 3.48  so CA is 36%
Over the last month CA 1.58, HI 0.31, OA 3.63  CA was 27%
Since start of treatment (3 months)  CA 0.81, HI 0.94, OA  4.49  CA was 12%

Hadn't noticed before this that the CA% is increasing though I don't know why.

Given these numbers do your original suggestions still apply?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 5 56 12 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 32 8 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 240 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 858 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.