Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trying to isolate issue with CPAP after 3yrs of use
Trying to isolate issue with CPAP after 3yrs of use
Hi all. Glad to have found y'all. 
I'm a newbie here, but been using CPAP for ~3yrs at factory default, before realising it wasn't helping me with my crippling brain fog/depression/dysfunction.

I'm trying to learn how to advocate for myself now, but it's difficult as I still struggle with basic life tasks. Doctors haven't been of help, they just look at the mild AHI and say there's no issue. 
Hope the attached pictures provide more context. I suspect positional issues?

Equipment: Phillips Dreamwear (nasal cushion), Phillips Dreamstation

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Trying to isolate issue with CPAP after 3yrs of use
Welcome to the board.  Take a look at the rows marked OA and H.  You can see groups of events together - those groups show us you have some positional apnea.

Positional apnea can NOT be controlled by pressure changes.  You have to find out what position you are getting into and cutting off your own airway.  Have you changed your sleep position?  Sleeping on your back?  Using more (or new) pillows?  These things can cause positional apnea by chin dropping to your sternum and cutting your airway.  Think of it of a kinked hose – nothing can get through – you have to unkink the hose…

IF you can’t make a simple change like changing to a flatter pillow helps then you will need a collar.  I have a link to collars in my signature at the bottom of the page.  It shows people who are not wearing a collar and the SAME person wearing a collar.  There is a huge difference between the two.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Mossify,

I would increase the minimum pressure to 8.5cm On the Fri. 23 Sep the scan shows an RERA before 3 of the clusters. Wondering if that is disturbing you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree about Positional Apnea, revealed by clusters of events. Read the wiki about Positional Apnea. A soft cervical collar is recommended.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies, all. Much appreciated.

@StaceyBurke & @clownbell: Seems like I need to try sleeping with a flatter pillow first? Or a towel? I'm struggling with maintaining the equipment I do have (like basic hygiene with my CPAP), so I don't know how I'll manage with a cervical collar.
Will do more research. 

I've received advice before to do away with pillows entirely, but that also seems to potentially lead to other issues... would like to hear about your experiences. 

@Keepsmiling: Yep, have adjusted my min. pressure up to 9cmh20 recently, am waiting to see if it makes a difference. I have noticed slightly lower AHI within this month. It definitely does bother me. I notice that I do seem to get RERAs even meditating seating up, and it feels like a jolt of anxiety? Trying to make sense of it, would really like to hear about your experiences on how RERAs feel.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mossify,

I am assuming you were seen by a doctor before you got machine. Also know your health status and be followed for medical conditions.

I have no idea what non asleep readings would mean.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Mossify,

I am not an expert but I noticed that you are using a Dream station, is it the DS1 or Dreamstation 2? (  The DS1 is recalled due to the foam issue. )

I use the Dreamstation 2 and use the flex setting 2, and found using the flex 3 difficult to breath to.

I agree that it seems positional and it would be wise to check in with your sleep doctor to check your settings to see if you can get them to a more optimum setting.
Post Reply Post Reply
@KeepSmiling: I think there's a miscomm somewhere, bc I don't understand how to interpret your response. Sorry. >< 

@Ptae4: I'm not USAian, so the immediate recall didn't apply. I was informed by the distributor that the issue was resolved, but now I'm doubting them also... can't seem to find trustworthy doctors/sleep industry ppl here, so I'm really lost. Trying to find a replacement for the Dreamstation currently.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 0 20 1 hour ago
Last Post: cps22
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 101 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,373 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 102 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
  hypertension issue PaulaO2 19 662 03-04-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 1 186 03-02-2024, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.